S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2002 AP1 Engine Sound 140K miles

Old 06-09-2020, 08:42 AM

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,085 Posts

One easy check is to remove the belt and start the car (is fine to run it without the belt for a few minutes, I would make sure it is completely cool before you start) and see if the noise goes away. If so, it is due to one of the accessories (Water pump, alternator, tensioners, idlers, AC).
Old 06-09-2020, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, idler pulley went out on me a year ago, it was replaced. Still its a good idea to remove the belt to rule any accessory noise out, thanks.

Piston slap does make sense since it improves once warmed up.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by kraquepype
Piston slap does make sense since it improves once warmed up.
I only slightly heard it at all in the first video. And none of the others. It should be completely gone after 15-20 min of driving once oil temps are up. It doesn't have an effect on compression or leakdown. There's fewer high Mileage guys here than low milage. But FRM liners and stock forged pistons. It's bound to slap while warming up. Preludes slap too. Two different alloys warm up at different rates.

And Likely the only reason I heard it is killing my ears and eq'ing out the lows

Last edited by Deckoz; 06-09-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

How do you like that Schiit gear with the Senns?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
How do you like that Schiit gear with the Senns?

Thanks!
Sorry ahead of time OP

The Schiit Stack is awesome, I am running the Magni Heresy, Loki(for fps games and like above analytical tone control) and Modi Multibit, I'm also running Ghentaudio RCA cables, and AudiphileNinja Headphone cable - both are made from Canarie Quad Star cabling with silver solder and gold connectors. It is probably the best Medium range($) hi-fi equipment you can get. You won't have trouble with driving most headphones on the market. I've tried Schiit's other smaller amps, like the Magni 2/3, Vali(tube). The Magni Heresy is the best/cleanest, and the HD58X is a super neutral open back headphone. The regular Magni and the Vali add this coldness or warmth, which I feel alters the sound negatively(to me) with a neutral headphone like the 58x Jubilee. (the warmth from the vali is nice, but doesn't work in all scenarios so don't feel its as good at all around sound reproduction. sorry tube lovers)

I like the Senn HD650/660 a-lot, but the MassDrop Senn 58X Jubilee with the 3.5mm foam pad mod really makes these headphones like a lively, fast, and bass corrected 600 series. 650 still wins for pure treble clarity, but you really have to listen. But at $150 for the HD58X you are getting alot of headphone vs the price bump to 650/660s

Here is the HD58X Mod from soldierdude. He has a pdf like these for most of the Senn headphones. and even compares the above mentioned heaphones so you can see what I am referencing above vs 600 series.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dr7hp...ation.pdf/file

Schiit Magni Heresy rundown:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...reviews.10311/
Old 06-10-2020, 06:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NP, I was going to ask about your keyboard.
The following users liked this post:
Deckoz (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by kraquepype
NP, I was going to ask about your keyboard.
It's a Ducky one 2 mini I got off of eBay for $9. Someone spilled something on it. I washed it in isopropyl alcohol and got it working. Desoldered all the switches and converted it to hot swap(so I can replace switches). And got it a weighted aluminum case. The primary "FPS" buttons, are either steel(wasd) or rubberized texture(qerfgzxcv), or chrome played(1-5) for tactile feel while gaming. And have a few 'artisan' caps on it.

For shits and giggles, I painted my mouse my favorite Honda color, the same as my valve cover - Paradise Blue Green Pearl. As I had some left over the the valve cover

Sorry for the total derail of the thread for anyone that reads this in the future lol

Last edited by Deckoz; 06-10-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

I am reading this from the future and approve of this thread!

Do you use these headphones for gaming or also music? I need to replace my Allen & Heath XD2-53 headphones which are discontinued and are falling apart but still sound great. I love these headphones because of the wide frequency response range they support but also very neutral so the sound is very clean without adding or mudding it up (I'm looking at you Beats). I use them mostly for music creation so clean, wide and neutral is what I'm looking for.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
I am reading this from the future and approve of this thread!

Do you use these headphones for gaming or also music? I need to replace my Allen & Heath XD2-53 headphones which are discontinued and are falling apart but still sound great. I love these headphones because of the wide frequency response range they support but also very neutral so the sound is very clean without adding or mudding it up (I'm looking at you Beats). I use them mostly for music creation so clean, wide and neutral is what I'm looking for.

@Thomas Guide
I bought these for hd music while I work, but they work well for gaming. I also do some video editing and they are very clear.

Wide - in response to dynamic range YES
Wide in respect to sound stage, it's wider than pretty much any closed back, but narrow in respect to most open backs
Which also reflects with imaging. Its imaging is pretty pin point(telling where a sound is coming from around you in music or games) they have plenty of imaging depth.

I would say these feel about like a living room as far as width. On the contrast close backs sound inside your head. And some others open backs sound like a stadium.

I like these in the "living room" width as vocal and acoustic clarity is extremely good, without loosing the details because of sound stage width.

Another positive is the HD58X are 150ohm so can be driven from your phone on the go if you want, but really ignite when hooked up to an amp. Where as most hd600+ series are 300ohm or more and require an amp. Figured I would mention this as I think I remember reading you living out of the S for a year on the go travelling!