S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2001 S2K exhaust fumes

Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, I did pop off the PCV and put my hand over the hole. There is definately some blowby happening somewhere because it is puffing out of the valve cover. Im willing to bet as soon as I get on the throttle, the oil mist is getting into the intake through the PCV. I wont know for sure until the catch can comes in.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Originally Posted by JonC
Thats the weird part. Ive only used about Litre / Quart of oil in about 4000km - which is not bad in my opinion for the engine. I dont get any visible smoke out the tailpipe, but everytime a draft of the fumes comes into the car, it definately reeks of oil. I will inspect for leaks under the car, but I know that the smell is not coming from under the hood - ive already checked that. Its possible something is driipping under the car, but I dont see what that could be.
at 1 quart per 4000 kms you aren't likely burning oil enough to be smelled out the tailpipe, I'd guess you need to be burning in excess of 1 quart per 1,000 kms for that. More likely a leak from above the exhaust. Bad valve seals can burn oil when taking off from a standing start (stoplight, stop sign etc) but you usually see a puff of blue smoke when that occurs in addition to the smell. You don't usually smell oil burning from bad valve seals when sitting at idle, usually with a blip of the throttle only when taking off.. Any chance the car was rustproofed in the last 12 months ?, warm temps will cause rustproofing to drip this time of the year.
I would still check the spark plugs for peace of mind, check the entire perimeter of the valvecover with a bright flashlight, and the area around the vtec solenoid. You could have an engine seal leak out the back of the engine where the block mates to the tranny , but they are quite rare.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
at 1 quart per 4000 kms you aren't likely burning oil enough to be smelled out the tailpipe, I'd guess you need to be burning in excess of 1 quart per 1,000 kms for that. More likely a leak from above the exhaust. Bad valve seals can burn oil when taking off from a standing start (stoplight, stop sign etc) but you usually see a puff of blue smoke when that occurs in addition to the smell. You don't usually smell oil burning from bad valve seals when sitting at idle, usually with a blip of the throttle only when taking off.. Any chance the car was rustproofed in the last 12 months ?, warm temps will cause rustproofing to drip this time of the year.
I would still check the spark plugs for peace of mind, check the entire perimeter of the valvecover with a bright flashlight, and the area around the vtec solenoid. You could have an engine seal leak out the back of the engine where the block mates to the tranny , but they are quite rare.
Car hasnt been rustproofed. I did the spark plugs a few weeks back. Next time im under the car ill check the entire block and exhaust. Will post pictures of everything I find.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Could be trans leak or even propshaft cv joint spewing onto exhaust.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:46 PM

Car hasnt been rustproofed. I did the spark plugs a few weeks back. Next time im under the car ill check the entire block and exhaust. Will post pictures of everything I find.
Did the sparkplugs all look normal ? If you are burning oil it shows up directly on the plugs, as you can't be burning oil without the plugs having oil and ash deposits ( heavy black wetness, and heavy grey crusty deposits etc.)
Old 05-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Did the sparkplugs all look normal ? If you are burning oil it shows up directly on the plugs, as you can't be burning oil without the plugs having oil and ash deposits ( heavy black wetness, and heavy grey crusty deposits etc.)

Old 05-27-2018, 03:52 PM

IMO that plug does not indicate any excessive oil burning, quite normal for a typical S2000 motor and representative of your oil consumption which is pretty good, I'd move on to looking for an external leak of some sort hitting the exhaust, cat, or header.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:58 PM

IMO that plug does not indicate any excessive oil burning, quite normal for a typical S2000 motor and representative of your oil consumption which is pretty good, I'd move on to looking for an external leak of some sort hitting the exhaust, cat, or header.
Will do. I know the trans was dropped at one point to change a clutch... maybe the shop that put it back up didnt tighten something? I did do a quick google on the propshaft grease leak. Ill have to look next weekend.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Overfilled crankcase? Someone here recently was indicating he overfilled his routinely. Perhaps he's getting oil smell as well?

-- Chuck
Old 05-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Gap appears to be a bit wide (could be angle of camera shot). Should be around 0.040" correct?

Quick Reply: 2001 S2K exhaust fumes