S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2001 S2K exhaust fumes

Old 05-25-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 3,766 Likes on 2,657 Posts

test pipes make me nauseated all the time, I dislike being around them. If the donut gasket is leaking at the header connection that can be a source of leakage that ends up in the cabin. Burning oil in the engine bay can get sucked into the cabin through the vent system too. Those are all common sources of such odours. Check around with a flashlight for any sources of oil leaks, hitting the exhaust system will cause a burning oil smell and it goes into the cabin easily.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Im willing to bet the valves have never been adjusted but is that going to cause the smell im getting? Should I try a new HFC and a valve adjustment next?
Old 05-26-2018, 04:22 AM

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Won't hurt to check the valve lash. $20 worth of tools and 2 hours of your time but I'm still betting the cat is either not there, gutted, or otherwise inoperable. Are you in an emissions check area of the country? Some shops can test your tailpipe emissions. No stink with my Berk high flow cat and it passed Ohio emissions several times.

-- Chuck
Old 05-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Just waiting on the gasket kit and ill check the lash.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:56 AM

check the valve lash for sure, the valvecover could be leaking oil , lots of people don't seem to know how to properly torque the valvecover after any maintenance work, causing oil to leak down and hit the exhaust system = oil burning odours. The vtec solenoid can also be a source of oil leakage sometimes.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:58 AM

I hear you... but the oil smell is for sure coming from the tailpipes.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:24 PM

Ok so the car is using oil and im smelling it out the tailpipes. Just checked my level, and I was at the bottom of the dipstick. Its not using it quick enough to smoke, but I can definitely smell it. Not sure the cat is designed to filter out burning oil. Ill do the valve lash anyways, and im going to install an oil air separator after the PCV. On the next oil change ill also up the weight of the oil a bit. Ill see if any of these things have a positive effect.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Cat won't filter oil, rather, oil will kill the cat. Your plan for catch can is good idea.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by JonC
I hear you... but the oil smell is for sure coming from the tailpipes.
You have a serious oil burning issue to smell it out of the tailpipe, no level of maintenance is going to cure it unless it is a freak pcv system failure, but not likely. Oil smell strong enough to be noticed out the tailpipe is oil getting by the piston rings, valve seals, or valve guides. Pull the spark plugs and it might be very evident if you have an oil burning issue. Simple test to check the plugs, you can take it further with a leakdown test. Check the pcv valve because it is simple to do, but I doubt it is the source of your problem.

Have someone drive your car at a decent clip and follow behind in a vehicle, an oil burning issue will be very evident.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
You have a serious oil burning issue to smell it out of the tailpipe, no level of maintenance is going to cure it unless it is a freak pcv system failure, but not likely. Oil smell strong enough to be noticed out the tailpipe is oil getting by the piston rings, valve seals, or valve guides. Pull the spark plugs and it might be very evident if you have an oil burning issue. Simple test to check the plugs, you can take it further with a leakdown test. Check the pcv valve because it is simple to do, but I doubt it is the source of your problem.

Have someone drive your car at a decent clip and follow behind in a vehicle, an oil burning issue will be very evident.

Thats the weird part. Ive only used about Litre / Quart of oil in about 4000km - which is not bad in my opinion for the engine. I dont get any visible smoke out the tailpipe, but everytime a draft of the fumes comes into the car, it definately reeks of oil. I will inspect for leaks under the car, but I know that the smell is not coming from under the hood - ive already checked that. Its possible something is driipping under the car, but I dont see what that could be.

Quick Reply: 2001 S2K exhaust fumes