S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2001 Keyless Entry/Factory Alarm

Old 11-27-2002, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Keyless Entry/Factory Alarm

Okay here is what I've got. I bought another S2000 however this is a 2001 and I bought it used. I didn't get any remotes for the car. I know the 2001 came standard with keyless entry, however how do you know if it has the factory alarm. I tried looking at the fuse panel but to no avail. Also when I order the remotes is there a difference between just keyless entry and or factory alarm? Or do the remotes cover both things? Come on everybody I know you guys have the answers!! Is the keyless entry package also equipped with the factory alarm????
Old 11-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no seperate remote with the alarm. The factory alarm is not standard. You can often get brand new remotes on EBAY for cheap.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:20 PM

I have extra remote, used.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:43 PM

the alarm remote also operates the keyless entry thru the alarm "brain". the regular remote does not operate the alarm.

to see if OEM Honda alarm is installed, look for led light on center console, valet switch mounted below dash, and the alarm "brain" is mounted to the underside of the driver's seat.

If someone has the Honda alarm installed, they should still have the original keyless remotes which would only be used if the alarm were operating in the valet mode.

e-bay or probably best bet is to post request on s2ki board.

i would see first, if you have alarm, and if so or not, borrow an appropriate remote, temporarily re-program it to your car and see if the keyless and or alarm is operable.

also, contact prior owner if you can . if alarm was dealer installed, it might come up in a dealer's vin file.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kenny'S2K
[B]If someone has the Honda alarm installed, they should still have the original keyless remotes which would only be used if the alarm were operating in the valet mode.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, i have yet to come across a valet switch as well.....coming up on 3 years of ownership.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by TKG 26
yeah, i have yet to come across a valet switch as well.....coming up on 3 years of ownership.
I learn something new every day. This Thanksgiving morning I rolled my S2000 out of the garage to clean off a little dust and dirt. I found a black "button" type switch on the BOTTOM of the dash, just left(towards the driver's door) to the area where the steering column ducks under the dash. Is that the Valet Switch?

What does a Valet Switch do?
Old 11-28-2002, 03:41 PM

Thank you cthree for a great board with a great search function. Here is the answer to my own question about that little button.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:41 AM

the alarm should also come with an owner's manual. my oem alarm was thrown in by the dealer when negotiating the price. your original key fobs were probably retained by the dealer to re-sell to some one else. i have the owners manual and can get the manuals p/n for you if you need it or i could xerox and snail mail it to you. the alarm key fobs, p/n 08e61-s01-1m0-01 (black w/ grey buttons) are a different color than the keyless ones and on the original, the trunk release has an icon of a trunk. the alarm fob's trunk release says "option".
the alarm works fine for the level of security that i need and the price was right. the sales manager thought that the module just plugged in somewhere. the service tech had to disassemble the entire interior and there were several hours of labor in the installation. i ended up with four key fobs, the two that came from the factory, and the two that come with the alarm. you paid for them, they are yours, just like the license plate frame plugs!
Old 11-29-2002, 07:12 AM

Hmmmm. Well, that was the only problem, then, with my original deal, and I don't think it is worth trying to correct a mistake I didn't catch on 4 November 2000. I got the alarm fobs with the "option" button but not the ones with the "trunk" button.

Quick Reply: 2001 Keyless Entry/Factory Alarm