S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

$200 AP2 Valve Cover 4 AP1? Is it really worth the money?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1370463389' post='22588937
The only true way to "eliminate" the issue is to do away with the PCV entirely... No connection from VC to IM= No oil to be sucked in and burped out...
It also means no relief of crankcase pressure as well. I prefer to not blow front/rear main seals or anything else. Appreciate the input though!
The VC vent and PCV port on my car are both VTA (vent to atmosphere)... Not sure what you're getting at here, many have done this... I drive my S hard and my dipstick doesn't move. There's less crankcase pressure now than before removing the PCV...
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i upgrade to ap2 valvecover and it helped with my oil consumption! but one thing you should try first before upgrading is check your spark plug seal i have seen these go bad all the time
Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KiChad
i upgrade to ap2 valvecover and it helped with my oil consumption! but one thing you should try first before upgrading is check your spark plug seal i have seen these go bad all the time
Thanks for your input! Ill check my tube seals, but if i witch to an AP2 VC I will get new tube seals, cam sensor o-rings, etc. Thanks
Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k' timestamp='1370465652' post='22589044
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1370463389' post='22588937']
The only true way to "eliminate" the issue is to do away with the PCV entirely... No connection from VC to IM= No oil to be sucked in and burped out...
It also means no relief of crankcase pressure as well. I prefer to not blow front/rear main seals or anything else. Appreciate the input though!
The VC vent and PCV port on my car are both VTA (vent to atmosphere)... Not sure what you're getting at here, many have done this... I drive my S hard and my dipstick doesn't move. There's less crankcase pressure now than before removing the PCV...
[/quote]

To my understanding, the vacuum applied from the intake manifold to the valve cover acutaly equalizes crank pressures and meets emissions requirements. The breather port is meant to allow fresh air in from the intake and cycle through the PCV to the intake manifold. I put two breather filters on my VC, one on the breather and one where the PCV went. Dipstick pops up constantly = crankcase pressure increase.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM

i recently did this. with synthetic oil, i've be consuming approximately 1 liter per 1000 miles, so i was hoping to improve this. the first 1000 miles after installing it, i thought i was using less oil. however, i started keeping better track of the make up oil i've been adding, and it's almost the same as with the AP1 cover, marginally less at best.

i think i had less oil consumption with with conventional oil, but since i didn't keep track of it as well in the past, i can't be completely sure.

i think i'm going to add a catch can next to see if it's actually passing through the pcv valve, or going somewhere else.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by shinigamiz
i recently did this. with synthetic oil, i've be consuming approximately 1 liter per 1000 miles, so i was hoping to improve this. the first 1000 miles after installing it, i thought i was using less oil. however, i started keeping better track of the make up oil i've been adding, and it's almost the same as with the AP1 cover, marginally less at best.

i think i had less oil consumption with with conventional oil, but since i didn't keep track of it as well in the past, i can't be completely sure.

i think i'm going to add a catch can next to see if it's actually passing through the pcv valve, or going somewhere else.
Thank you for your input. I take everyone's answers into consideration. Mostly, it depends on the health of the engine and how the owner maintains it. BUT, these damn hondas just love to eat oil. Still on the fence for the VC
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by shinigamiz' timestamp='1370619504' post='22593214

Thank you for your input. I take everyone's answers into consideration. Mostly, it depends on the health of the engine and how the owner maintains it. BUT, these damn hondas just love to eat oil. Still on the fence for the VC
i also had a leakdown test done a few months ago. results were something like 5-7% leakage. (i don't remember the compression test numbers.)
Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1370580761' post='22592351
[quote name='BLAQ&GREYs2k' timestamp='1370465652' post='22589044']
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1370463389' post='22588937']
[/quote]

To my understanding, the vacuum applied from the intake manifold to the valve cover acutaly equalizes crank pressures and meets emissions requirements. The breather port is meant to allow fresh air in from the intake and cycle through the PCV to the intake manifold. I put two breather filters on my VC, one on the breather and one where the PCV went. Dipstick pops up constantly = crankcase pressure increase.
[/quote]

You obviously have severe blow by reciprocating through your crankcase. Mine has never popped out and I know of plenty of others doing this with no issues. Mines been this way for 40k plus miles with zero issues...