S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2 Bad Alternators within a month

Old 04-19-2023, 11:34 AM

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I would check the voltage with the car running

Get a volt meter.
Expose the power post of the alternator (the one behind the rubber boot).

Turn on the car.

While its running....

Measure at the power post on the alternator. Put the positive probe on the power post. Put the negative probe on bare metal on the engine block.

Compare that measurement to what you're getting at the battery posts.

Let us know.
13.07 V at the battery, 11.56 at the alternator. So my newly rebuilt alternator is garbage.... What should I do here? I can return this to the rebuild shop but still need an operational alternator. I see plenty of salvaged S2000 alternators on eBay, should I take a gamble on that?

Does Denso still make this? If so, does anybody know how to get one?
Old 04-19-2023, 11:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Well your voltage values agree with your initial post. The alternator was charging at one point.

It does point to a bad alternator.

​​​​​​See if Rockauto has a Denso offering.

Otherwise, try a used OEM one.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Well your voltage values agree with your initial post. The alternator was charging at one point.

It does point to a bad alternator.

​​​​​​See if Rockauto has a Denso offering.

Otherwise, try a used OEM one.
Looks like they have it. RockAuto Alternator

Hope this lasts longer than the other two. On the positive side, I've gotten pretty good at removing my stock air box with this much practice.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You should be seeing about 14V on the battery with the alternator functioning correctly. But to get 13V, you definitely had a working alternator at some point. It could be that your current replacement burnt out quickly.

The OEM alternator is made by Denso so you may get the original OEM unit from Rock Auto.

Blueprint are also a manufacturer that I used with success previously, and it's about 50% the price of an OEM unit new. As the guys have said though, nothing competes with the OEM unit in terms of reliability and longevity.

​​​​​
Old 04-19-2023, 10:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwong77
Sorry as I'm not much of a mechanic, but theres only two connections on the back of the alternator. The one with the bolt and the other that clips on. Which should I check and what should I look for?
Forget what i said. It seems like there is no alternator grounding cable. Alternator is grounded thru engine ground.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwong77
13.07 V at the battery, 11.56 at the alternator. So my newly rebuilt alternator is garbage.... What should I do here? I can return this to the rebuild shop but still need an operational alternator. I see plenty of salvaged S2000 alternators on eBay, should I take a gamble on that?

Does Denso still make this? If so, does anybody know how to get one?
Hang on! Alternator positive and battery positive should allways read the same voltage, because they are connected together.
If there is a voltage difference between, then there has to be a bad contact between them.

Check the wire connections:

Last edited by _valtsu_; 04-19-2023 at 10:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _valtsu_:
noodels (04-20-2023), windhund116 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by _valtsu_
Hang on! Alternator positive and battery positive should allways read the same voltage, because they are connected together.
If there is a voltage difference between, then there has to be a bad contact between them.

Check the wire connections:
I think I said it poorly. What I meant was with the car off the voltage across the battery terminals was 13.07V. With the car running, the alternator showed 11.56V. I did a continuity check between the alternator and the battery positive terminal, and it looked okay.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:57 AM

I bought the rebuilt Denso from RockAuto as well as a used alternator from eBay. The donor car had 47k miles on it, so I think it should be okay between these two alternators. And given my experience, I'll keep one in the garage as a backup.

eBay Alternator I bought
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Good luck with the alternator. You really shouldn't need a spare alternator, unless there is something else going on. You are using a new OEM serpentine belt, right?
Old 04-20-2023, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Good luck with the alternator. You really shouldn't need a spare alternator, unless there is something else going on. You are using a new OEM serpentine belt, right?
Yes, sort of, I replaced it last year. But it was direct from the Honda dealer.

After two failing Alternators within a span of a month, I'm just going to keep a spare around just in case.

Quick Reply: 2 Bad Alternators within a month