S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2 Bad Alternators within a month

Old 04-18-2023, 06:54 PM

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2 Bad Alternators within a month

Hello All,

I've recently replaced the alternator in my 2005 S2000 twice within the last month and also have put in a new Interstate battery from Costco. The original died, I assumed from age and use, the second alternator started showing the battery light about 2 days after installation. This one was from O'Reilly. The third alternator is one I purchased from an alternator rebuilding shop, and lasted about 2 days as well before the battery light appeared. Not sure what is going on, if I have some kind of other electrical issue or not. I called hondaautomotiveparts.com and they told me I can't purchase anymore rebuilt or new ones from them anymore.

Would appreciate any pointers on how I can troubleshoot this, or if I should just give up and take it to a shop.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you checked the charging voltage to make sure alternator isn't really working?
Also check alternator grounding.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 08:11 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Best alternator is your oem alternator
Only things that wear out are brushes, and if you jump start it, and not uncommon for rectifier to go dead. Especially after jumpstart. Both easy fixes. DIY instructions in threads on this site.

Eventually obviously bearings will wear out, but even cars with 400k miles are still on original alternator.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Best alternator is your oem alternator
Only things that wear out are brushes, and if you jump start it, and not uncommon for rectifier to go dead. Especially after jumpstart. Both easy fixes. DIY instructions in threads on this site.

Eventually obviously bearings will wear out, but even cars with 400k miles are still on original alternator.
I think my original had a bad bearing, as I heard a grinding sound. The one I have right now is an OEM that the shop rebuilt.

Should I try one from a salvage yard?
Old 04-19-2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by _valtsu_
Have you checked the charging voltage to make sure alternator isn't really working?
Also check alternator grounding.
Sorry as I'm not much of a mechanic, but theres only two connections on the back of the alternator. The one with the bolt and the other that clips on. Which should I check and what should I look for?
Old 04-19-2023, 09:21 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had bad luck with parts store reman'd units. Each time it has been an issue with the voltage regulator heat soaking and taking a dump. (I used 2 from AutoZone and 1 from a local independent rebuilder)

My buddy gave me a high mileage, dirty and disgusting looking OEM part he pulled out from the bottom of his storage pile. I put that in my car, problem solved. I put a ton of miles on that one!

That was several years ago. I learned my lesson. OEM or nothing. But if OEM is not available, I'm not sure who is currently offering reliable units.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:14 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwong77
Hello All,

I've recently replaced the alternator in my 2005 S2000 twice within the last month and also have put in a new Interstate battery from Costco. The original died, I assumed from age and use, the second alternator started showing the battery light about 2 days after installation. This one was from O'Reilly. The third alternator is one I purchased from an alternator rebuilding shop, and lasted about 2 days as well before the battery light appeared. Not sure what is going on, if I have some kind of other electrical issue or not. I called hondaautomotiveparts.com and they told me I can't purchase anymore rebuilt or new ones from them anymore.

Would appreciate any pointers on how I can troubleshoot this, or if I should just give up and take it to a shop.
Did you jump the battery, when it went dead? You may have fried the rectifier/regulator.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I would check the voltage with the car running

Get a volt meter.
Expose the power post of the alternator (the one behind the rubber boot).

Turn on the car.

While its running....

Measure at the power post on the alternator. Put the positive probe on the power post. Put the negative probe on bare metal on the engine block.

Compare that measurement to what you're getting at the battery posts.

Let us know.
The following users liked this post:
Jwong77 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Did you jump the battery, when it went dead? You may have fried the rectifier/regulator.
No, the battery was never jumped.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
I would check the voltage with the car running

Get a volt meter.
Expose the power post of the alternator (the one behind the rubber boot).

Turn on the car.

While its running....

Measure at the power post on the alternator. Put the positive probe on the power post. Put the negative probe on bare metal on the engine block.

Compare that measurement to what you're getting at the battery posts.

Let us know.
On it!

Quick Reply: 2 Bad Alternators within a month