S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2.5L S2000 needs major engine tuning.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that box is in no way capable of tuning that engine.you did not just change displacment,.....cooling maps, air flow at certain rpms may increase but could still be close the stock at others,valve float at lower rpm due to more air hitting the back of the valve,timing is no where near the same.fueling demands can not be meet with the few points of adjustment you get from that piece. try emanage,hondata or other "full"control piggy backs.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by white_S2000@16,Jun 23 2005, 05:58 PM
-The only failure is the customers that are out of state or out of countrys inability to follow directions and asemble the motor corectly.

stoner- are you in Alabama??

-UL the math you used to say you could pull out 10-15% of fuel isn't quite right even though it is the most basic and sensable logic. There are other factors like the compression and such that make it untrue.

-Matt
Matt: Awesome dyno run!!! To answer your questions...

-I have the S2000 OEM manual, and assembled everything to the spec's listed. (Supplied from inlinepro as well) Before I did the install, I spoke with Jeremy to confirm that there are no modifications beyond what the manual requires. Overall the engine rebuild and install took me 5 days... Yes, I double checked everything before running it. Overall, now that it's all done... the car runs smooth beyond 1500 RPM, but boggs down a bit at idle due to it being overly rich.

Note: I am not running above 4500 rpm during the break in period, and no VTEC either. (VTEC set for 6000 engagement, to keep in close to the factory settings.)

-I'm a military member living in Germany. I've been stationed here for almost 3 years, and and have discovered long ago that getting reliable help / asistance for my S2K is very difficult here. (Germany is not a consumer oriented market, i.e. no service or support) Basicly once my motor died... Inlinepro was the only company that would help me. (Most places will not ship to an overseas APO address)

Question Matt: How much fuel are you cutting out, can you list your fuel correction settings? (Narrow / Wide correction factors) I currently have my AFC set for:

(Narrow only)
1000 -5
2000 -4
2500 -3
3000 -2
3500 -1
4000 -1
4500 -1
5000 -1

Even with this setting, i'm still runnning rich as hell, but I'm a bit leary of tweaking it down further without seeing someone elses baseline settings.

Mods currently installed:

-Ferria Valves and double springs.
-Comptech header.
-Injen Cold Air intake.
-HKS dual exhaust.
-Denso Iridium Sparkplugs.
-Willwood Brakes and rotors.
-Comptech Swaybars.
-Comptech Rear Strutt Bar.
-Racing Hart C2 (3 piece), 18 x 8 Front / 18x 9 rear.
- Yokohoma AVS tires.
-C West Full Body Kit.

Stoner
Old 06-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by buzilanga,Jun 23 2005, 11:13 PM
Can you still rev the car at 9k with no problem?
The engine is only made for 8000RPM, due to the larger displacement.... IMO: The torque and HP gaines more then make up for the loss of 1000 RPM's.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by hackmac87,Jun 24 2005, 02:26 AM
that box is in no way capable of tuning that engine.you did not just change displacment,.....cooling maps, air flow at certain rpms may increase but could still be close the stock at others,valve float at lower rpm due to more air hitting the back of the valve,timing is no where near the same.fueling demands can not be meet with the few points of adjustment you get from that piece. try emanage,hondata or other "full"control piggy backs.
there is no hondata for the s2000
Old 06-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by hackmac87,Jun 24 2005, 02:26 AM
emanage,hondata or other "full"control piggy backs.
The AFC/VAFC's are piggyback controllers, as is the e-manage. Piggyback controllers intercept and modify inputs to the factory PCM, to get a desired output change. The e-manage can add fuel via the injectors directly, as well as modify the MAP sensor signal to indirectly change the fuel.

AEM EMS is the only direct plug in Standalone system available.

Hondata systems are fatory PCM's modifed to be pretty much fully programmable. And Like blue said, there is no Hondata application for the s2000.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:10 PM

And Like blue said, there is no Hondata application for the s2000.
If some one decides that they want to use hondata for the s2k and doesn't mind going through being the first one to have it, it can be done. The guys at hondata said that you need to modfy only 2 sensors on the f20 to get the hondata k- pro unit to work on teh s2000. Ive thought about it but i will probably go with EMS this summer becuase of the money it would cost to do such a procedure.

Stoner- i will pm you my settings i think you will be very suprised to say the least....
Old 06-24-2005, 11:57 PM

im not totally sure of all the systems out for the s2k,but that IS NOT precise enough to tune that engine.period.it only modifies the stock map maybe 25% of 1 or 2 sensors out of 15 +.it just will never get the full potnetial that engine is capable of.
as for emanage it takes in most engine sensors info and then can alter maps way better than any air flow convertor ever could,and cost about the same.vafcs are ment for small changes like mild cams and intake and exhaust, not full on huge displacement increases.it only my opinion ....... i just dont think it is safe, and dont want to see him post....

"well my friend on the base was playing with my controller and i had to retune it but couldnt get the maps back just right where they where so i melted a piston"

which ive have seen a batrillion times on other forums.more on boosted cars but on a few N/A cars too.just tring too prevent a failure cause i know that motor kit wasnt cheap.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The basic e-manage install wires to the same sensors a VAFC is. The MAP sensor, TPS, RPM, as well at VTEC. The VTEC is an output, not an input signal. If you use the injector and timing harnesses, it will be wired to the coils and injectors. These are also outputs.

The other new e-manage accesories A/F meter input, knock sensor adapter, water temp adapter, aren't really inputs to the e-manage.

The 02 adapter disables 02 input above a certain RPM
The knock sensor adapter removes the knock signal to the PCM, to prevent the PCM from removing timing.
The water temp adapter is meant to improve hard starting, in other vehicles.

A basic e-manage is not wired into the ECT sensor, any of the Cam/crank position sensors, any oxygen sensor.

The e-manage is programmed differently than a VAFC, but they both operate on the same principles.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:00 PM

i his case he wouldnt use basic emanage.vafc only alters map signal and turns vtec on user defind rpm.if you look only 2 wires are spliced for altered signal map and vtec everything else is tapped for signal monitoring.emanage actually alters the full timing and injection pulse width directly from full rpm range 3D maps.vafc IS NOT proper tuning for this application,even with larger injectors.i understand your a moderator and know alot. im a vw tech and have worked in many tuning shops prior.its just not going to run anywhere near even a good tune on a "full" piggyback would.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply put folks, even a stock S2000 can benefit dramatically from an AEM EMS tune. But you need full control over timing and fuel, which you don't have with other systems mentioned here.

On a highly modified engine with dramatically different bore/stroke and airflow, something like the EMS becomes even more necessary.

And then when you consider that you also have the ability to control - rev limiters (both high rpm as well as launch limiters) to protect your new big stroke engine, traction control to ensure you get that good launch, knock sensor recalibration to ensure that the increased engine noise isn't tripping your stock knock sensor all the time, cooling fans, etc. then its totally worth it.

SC

Quick Reply: 2.5L S2000 needs major engine tuning.