S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2.4L p0171 and p0170... duh?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

I cant believe any one would do a stroker kit without some sort of aftermarket EMS.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superchrgds2k
I am concerned about this too and have asked in the past but never received a solid answer. I get these 2 codes whenever I go on a long distance trip (about 200 miles). I DD my car and around town and there is no issue. Usually the check engine light will reset itself after I get home and drive around town. Should I be worried? I have adjusted the FPR, which helped. All I have is the base NOVI 1000 kit. Should I be worried in the long/short run? Thanks for the help. (Again the check engine light only comes on after a long trip, never on when I am home)

Stock motor
Bolt on NOVI 1000
standard pulley, 6psi
82000 miles
So you're running an s/c with no tuning? How do you adjust the FPR? Is that the bulb lookin thing on top of the fuel line?

Originally Posted by Gigdy
I cant believe any one would do a stroker kit without some sort of aftermarket EMS.
I've literally had the engine in the car for 3 days now. And like I said in my post I did the stroker kit for budget reasons more so than performance.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 AM

but this is with a comptech kit? a stock motor doesn't have an adjustable (baseline) fpr does it?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ry4nolson
but this is with a comptech kit? a stock motor doesn't have an adjustable (baseline) fpr does it?
no, but you can get an AEM one for ~$100

you can use the adjustable FPR to add fuel everywhere, and then use a VAFC or similar to subtract fuel where there is too much
Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ry4nolson
Originally Posted by superchrgds2k' timestamp='1322667472' post='21197599
I am concerned about this too and have asked in the past but never received a solid answer. I get these 2 codes whenever I go on a long distance trip (about 200 miles). I DD my car and around town and there is no issue. Usually the check engine light will reset itself after I get home and drive around town. Should I be worried? I have adjusted the FPR, which helped. All I have is the base NOVI 1000 kit. Should I be worried in the long/short run? Thanks for the help. (Again the check engine light only comes on after a long trip, never on when I am home)

Stock motor
Bolt on NOVI 1000
standard pulley, 6psi
82000 miles
So you're running an s/c with no tuning? How do you adjust the FPR? Is that the bulb lookin thing on top of the fuel line?

It was tuned when I installed it. It seems to only happen about 2 or 3 times a year. Sometimes I can do long trips without the CEL. S/C was installed when the car had about 15k miles. It runs very strong, no problems. I pamper the shit out of the car and do all the maintenance. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted by Gigdy
I've literally had the engine in the car for 3 days now. And like I said in my post I did the stroker kit for budget reasons more so than performance.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lean = Bad. Do you know your AFR's? I always tell people that the two gauges you MUST have with FI are AFR (and a wideband) and oil pressure. It only takes one super lean pull to fry a motor.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM

hecash,
my bad wasnt trying to take over the original topic, I was just in a similiar situation.

SgtB,
I know, I need to get those gauges. I just drive the car like normal, no track, or hard. Only when someone wants to see the wrath of the S. Seeing that 95% of the time my check engine light never comes on, should I really be worried about the lean issue? I thought about taking the S/C belt off on road trips.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB
Lean = Bad. Do you know your AFR's? I always tell people that the two gauges you MUST have with FI are AFR (and a wideband) and oil pressure. It only takes one super lean pull to fry a motor.

I do not know my AFR and also I'm not FI so not sure if this was towards me or superchrds2k.

Anyway. I figured the ECM would be able to adjust for this. My previous car was a hyundai accent which i swapped the 1.6 for a 2.0 ( more % increase than stroking the f20c to 2.4 ) and ran it with stock ecm for 3 years no issues.

Don't the s2k's run pretty rich stock (12ish)? Is it just saying lean as in leaner than what it expects (12ish) or is it truly lean (dangerous)?

I'm not trying to justify running it without a tune. Just want to know if it is at least safe to drive until i can save enough to afford some kind of tuning. (Most likely the emanage mentioned by s2000maniac)
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't answer that question honestly ry4nolson. My original comment was towards SCs2k.

I would worry myself to death not knowing my AFR's though. The NA forum may be able to tell you. The ecu is probably limited on how much it can adjust, You'll have to figure out if you're near that limit. I would call any WOT off limits until you get another ECU.

@superchargeds2k: I can't tell you if your safe or not without an AFR reading. It may be a simple ecu glitch that's a nuisance, or it could be a real lean condition. You'll never know without data. i consider gauges cheap insurance. You may be ok on long rides because you're just cruising. It sounds strange to me though.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you lower the VTEC the additional fuel required in the lowered VTEC band is immense, mostly due to the extra capacity and ability to flow a lot more air at these lower rpm. A piggy back ECU is going to struggle to force the factory ECU to add additional fuel. Most piggy back ECU's force a trim through altering the MAP signal and/or air/water temp. If the extra fuel requirements are outside the trims available you will not be able to do it.

If you have no beans you may be able to put some 550cc injectors on or increase fuel pressure. Get an air/fuel meter/gauge onto the car so you can see what is going on mixture wise.

I ran my stroker up on the factory ECU with 550cc injectors before plugging in the AEM. It ran OK on power but was rich at idle. Try to beg/borrow/steal a set of 550cc injectors and you may be close enough not to run lean.

If I was you I would sell a kidney and get an AEM.

Quick Reply: 2.4L p0171 and p0170... duh?