S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

1st time tranny and diff. fluid change

Old 04-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time tranny and diff. fluid change

Well I finally decided to take things into my own hands and do it my self.(save money also) I read and printed Xvipers write-ups and they are great! I do have a couple questions though, where do I buy the tube attachment that goes on the end of the bottle used to insert the fluids? Also, I'm going to use the Honda MTF for the tranny, and mobil 1 75w90 synthetic for the Diff. is this correct? And how much of each will I need? Do I fill the Transmission and diff. all the way, or is there a specific level I need to be aware of? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this the right way. Any help would be great!

Thanks
Greg
Old 04-22-2004, 04:27 PM

tube you can get at autozone or similar place. or go to home depot et al and just get some plastic tubing (like for fish tanks)

honda MTF I think the tranny uses 1.4 L (many people also like the GM Synchromesh plus (?) or FM )

diff. many debates about best lub. takes about 0.85 L
look for road rage's threads. LE 607 looks pretty good to me.

make sure you can get the fill bolt off BEFORE you take off the drain bolts. the fill holes are set up so that excess tranny/diff fluid drains out. let the extra drain before replacing the file bolt.

good luck.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the tube at any local hardware store...

You have the correct fluids

As for filling you need about 2.0L for the Tranny and 1.25L for the diff. As you fill up the fluid, keep going until the fluid begins to over flow out of the filler hole. Thats when you know you reached the full mark.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:34 PM

Thanks guys! this sounds fairly simple. Does anyone know how much the Mobil 1 is? I only need 1 bottle of it correct?

thanks again
Greg
Old 04-22-2004, 05:34 PM

Places like Autozone and Pep boys actually sell a pump that will make things easier. Not sure what the model number is...just a generic $8 pump in the oil section. Works great.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sta-Lube pump works well. I bought some sta-lube gear oil and dumped it in my recycle tank, then used whatever gear oil I chose using the old bottle.
http://doityourself.com/store/6847610.htm

Now I use this:
Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by GregC21
Thanks guys! this sounds fairly simple. Does anyone know how much the Mobil 1 is? I only need 1 bottle of it correct?

thanks again
Greg
You need one bottle (qt) of diff fluid and 2 bottles of tranny fluid. I pay 12 bucks Canadian for the M1. You put in as much fluid as it will take before it overflows out the fill hole when the car is level. My threads tell you how to do this.
If you elect not to get some sort of pump, you use the cap from the Mobil 1 diff fluid bottle. It is tapered. Cut the end so you have enough left to install about a 2 - 3 foot length of tubing on it with a tiny hose clamp. This cap is also the same thread as the tranny fluid bottle but make sure you rinse it out before using it for the other fluid. Remember, you don't have to have the bottle higher than the fill hole. You just need the end of the tube in the fill hole and the cap of the bottle lower than the bottom of the bottle so that when you squeeze, you push fluid and not air through the tube. Stop every so often and put the bottle upright so you can "unsquish" the bottle, then repeat till you've squeezed enough out. The tubing can be found at wine making shops. The cap and tubing can be re-used many, many times. Some folks tend to not like it because it's just too simple and primitive.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:35 AM

i always used a large turkey baster instead of fish tank tube
Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

FISH ................... TURKEY ......................
Whatever works.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:44 AM

Thanks again! If there is one word of caution about either procedures, what would it be?

Greg

Quick Reply: 1st time tranny and diff. fluid change