S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

1st oil change!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first oil change was at 2600 miles. Oil life meter was reading 50% at the time.

The car wasn't worried about the oil, the manual wasn't worried about the oil, the forum posts aren't worried about the oil, but me, personally, I wanted it changed before it started going dark.

It'll probably freak out some of the forum members who think maybe I should try to squeeze all the life I can out of my old engine oil before changing it because maybe it'll save me a few bucks, but when I compare that to the cost of the engine itself, I think I'll take my chances with changing my oil early and often.

My own preference is to change the oil when either (a) the messages on the dash tell me to or (b) I start wondering about my oil life, whichever comes first.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Krenath,Nov 10 2006, 09:56 PM
It'll probably freak out some of the forum members who think maybe I should try to squeeze all the life I can out of my old engine oil before changing it because maybe it'll save me a few bucks, but when I compare that to the cost of the engine itself, I think I'll take my chances with changing my oil early and often.
Except that the first oil in the engine has some sort of moly additive that is supposed to help break in the engine. It's possible that by being so extra-protective of your engine, you actually harmed it instead.

Not likely, IMO, but possible.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 only has 3200 miles and only has 15% oil life left. Does that mean I am driving it too hard?

Its time for an oil change right?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:13 PM

according to your computer you still have 15% oil life left. i don't know how you drive, maybe you sit in LA traffic, maybe you redline it all the way to work, or maybe you drive like granny back and forth to church.

if you want to change your oil, feel free. if you want to wait until the computer tells you, feel free. it's your car, do whatever makes you feel better.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Krenath,Nov 10 2006, 09:56 PM
My first oil change was at 2600 miles. Oil life meter was reading 50% at the time.

The car wasn't worried about the oil, the manual wasn't worried about the oil, the forum posts aren't worried about the oil, but me, personally, I wanted it changed before it started going dark.

My own preference is to change the oil when either (a) the messages on the dash tell me to or (b) I start wondering about my oil life, whichever comes first.
buuut, that oil is SUPPOSED to stay in there for atleast 5k miles. the engineers that built this motor, well, i'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about. i'm there probably wasnt any harm done, but some little dude in japan made that call, and i'm gonna stick to it.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:34 PM

edit, page ownage.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:45 PM

the manual says 7500 miles and the the oil from the factory contains additives that are helpful for breaking the engine in.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Told you I'd freak them out.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:13 PM

I changed mine at 4700 since I was going for a weekend of pretty hard driving. The maintenance monitor said I had 40% remaining. My car does not use oil, even after a weekend of hard driving. I am now at 7700, showing 50% oil life, and my dipstick still is right at the top since the oil change at 4700. In fact, I view my driving as enthusiastic, so I am surprised to see a prediction of 6000 miles for the oil life.

So my conclusion is that the S2000 will break-in pretty well on its own. I agree with all those who recommend keeping the factory fill in as long as possible. But, then you must also consider whether you want to run hard on used oil.

Just bring the motor along gradually after the intial 600 miles. Some VTEC is good, a lot of VTEC is not good. It is all about common sense.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what i would love to have a straight answer on, is what to top off with. a few days ago, i put in a half court of valvoline max life. but not sure if i want to use the rest of the quart if i have to. i have also heard that you should put in the most crappy oil. what have you guys used???

Quick Reply: 1st oil change!