S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

1st gear won't engage

Old 10-01-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1st gear won't engage

This is MY02 with approx 23k miles, this one is stock. I baby this car, constant maintenance. Recently I've noticed a problem with my transmission just after hard acceleration. When I get to the next stop after accelerating hard, I can't engage the car into 1st gear. When I try, it feels very very notchy, to the point where I have to push HARD and wiggle a bit for it to start to go into the slot. But I can't get it all the way in to where I can release the clutch. I can get it about 1/2 way into first before the resistance it too much where I feel like I'm about to break the shifter .

This only happens after a period of driving, and after hard acceleration. I have to start the car off in 2nd gear when this happens. Another thing I've noticed at the same time is the transmission will make that "clunk" sound in 2nd even 3rd gear when I'm at the stop light. It makes this sound (you can feel it too) no matter how long the clutch is held in. The problem fixes itself after driving for a few miles, with 1st gear engagement getting progressively better (doesn't all of a sudden disappear). I'll be changing the xmission fluid within a couple weeks, though this seems out of the realm of 'change the fluid to fix the problem' .

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, if they brought it to the dealer, if they ever found the reason. This doesn't happen every time I drive, but every few times.

Anyone have experience or opinions on this?
Old 10-01-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Although you may indeed have a serious tranny issue, don't underestimate a tranny fluid change. For all you know, the level could be low. Also, have you had the clutch fluid checked? You should also have that changed, too. A poor functioning hydraulic clutch system can also contribute to what you are experiencing. Where is the clutch friction point, especially when you are having these problems?
Old 10-01-2004, 08:39 AM

I really do hope this problem is taken care of when I get the xmission fluid changed. I notice no difference in clutch engagment when this is happening. It engages at approx the same place (I drive as normal when in 2nd or above and notice nothing wrong).

I haven't checked the clutch fluid. That's a good idea. Could it be the clutch is not disengaging enough to go into first, but it's allowing me to shift into the higher gears? Again this rarely happens, and only after punching it (sometimes), so maybe the heat of the clutch is affecting my engagement points? The problem abates after a period of time, which makes it hard to really troubleshoot.

I hadn't thought of this, but it definately makes sense.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First gear is always a tough one to get into if there is anything going on with the clutch or tranny. Also, changing gears while the car is moving is not an indicator of how the clutch is doing. If you do it right or just "luck out", you can shift gears without a clutch.
What I'm getting at is this:
You say sometimes you have to forget about 1st gear and go into 2nd to start off from a dead stop. When you do this, does the clutch begin to grab at about the same place that it does when 1st is obtainable? IE, if the clutch begins to transfer power about 2 inches off from the floor normally, does it still begin to transfer power about 2 inche off from the floor when you have to take off in second? IF it is the SAME, then it's most likely not the clutch system. IF it's different, chances are that it is the clutch hydraulics.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:35 AM

That's something I'll have to pay attention to next time this happens. Since I had to feather the clutch to avoid bogging the engine taking off from 2nd, the engagement point wasn't what I was concentrating on. I will next time though.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:20 PM

UPDATE:

I took the car into the dealer, they found a bad synchro between 1st and 2 gear. They will also be changing the entire shifting assembly (perhaps it's warped from the excessive force needed to place it into gear?).

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know what the outcome was if you have similar symptoms.

All this will be under warranty.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:29 PM