S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

1st Gear question

Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gear question

My 2nd hand '00 s2k is quite fiddley to push into 1st gear, its ok when you get used to it but it is quite stiff going in. Just wondering if this is normal on s2k's or if mine has a bit of an issue possibly the syncromesh?

Also when using engine braking or on the down rev there seems to be quite a lot of exhaust vibration - again just wondering if this is a normal occurence on s2k's?

Just for reference mine is a completely unmodified fully honda serviced UK spec.

Thanks in advance,
Karl
Old 01-26-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this "hard to get into 1st" thing mainly when it is cold...if so, then yes, thats normal...there are times when its -5C out for me and after shifting to second...there is just no way to get it to downshift into first without either jamming it or coming to a complete stop. So ya, I wouldn't worry about that...

the other noise you are talking about...is it most prominent in the 3-5k rpm range? If so...its actually your clutch "buzzing" that is normal as well
Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 AM

is it from stop or rolling or both?
going in to 1st from a stop should be very easy
sometimes it'll feel like the car is locking you out from going in to 1st when you are rolling at speed.....
Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch buzzing is not normal, its a normal TSB though.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:37 PM

My S2 has some of the same symptoms, it's harder to go in from a dead stop, but once the car has been running a while it gets a little easier, and my car makes that noise as well when you let off the gass it gives an annoying rattle. I'm new to this car (I bought it used) and I need help with knowing whether these things are normal or if thier a problem. The problem with getting it into gear honda tells me the clutch is really worn and needs a new one. But the car only has 23,000 miles, A new clutch with such low mileage? It didn't sound right to me. any help PM me or e-mail (smjpcny@yahoo.com) - thanks
Old 01-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Who's to say how the previous owner treated the car. If he did clutch drops all the time or did high rpm speed shifts, it's possible to wear a clutch to nothing in a few thousand miles or less. Try changing the clutch fluid first, do a tranny fluid change and when engaging 1st from a stop, try going into 2nd momentarily before going into 1st.
The clutch buzz is just a noise. It has no affect on the operation of the car in any way. Many of us have had this noise since day one and has done nothing about it for years and our cars function perfectly fine. If the noise bothers you, you can try to get the TSB done, but if the basic factory warranty is over, the dealer may not honor that TSB - depends on the dealer. Getting the TSB done for the buzz is still no guaranty that the noise will not come back, as many owners have experienced.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:37 PM

Well, if you're talking about the noise that's rattling when you take your foot off the gas while you're still in gear then it means that your release bearing is going bad. About the not going into first gear thing, I had the same problem with mine too until I'd changed my tranny fluid then it became smoother... Hope this helps...
Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reds2kracer,Jan 26 2005, 03:37 PM
Well, if you're talking about the noise that's rattling when you take your foot off the gas while you're still in gear then it means that your release bearing is going bad.
With due respect, a release bearing going bad will make noise pretty much all the time and particularly so when you have the clutch despressed.
This "buzz" is as follows: The backlash that is characteristic in transmissions of early S2000's (and even in the newer ones) is such that upon deceleration through a very specific rpm range, a harmonic vibration is set up. This vibration is transmitted forward via the input shaft, then to the clutch disc, then to the disc springs. It is at a fairly precise rpm range that the springs begin to vibrate. It is this vibration that manifests itself as the infamous "decel buzz". Changing to a newer disc with stiffer springs will cure the problem but in many cases, even these springs will eventually buzz again.
Here is the TSB for this:
https://www.s2ki.com/home/index.php?option=...id=42&Itemid=41
Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 PM

That's true, just giving my .02...
Old 01-27-2005, 07:14 AM

Having spent a while longer driving around last night, I think that it seems to fit in with xvipers "decel buzz" explanation, as he stated it is just on deceleration and if you very lightly touch the accelerator the noise goes. It does mostly happen between 3000-4000rpm but sometimes at higher/lower rpms.

I can live with the noise I just want to know that its not doing any permanent damage to the clutch/engine?

With regards to the gear change thing having read other posts I think my gearbox is ok, its just a bit fiddly - once you get used to it it does go into 1st easily.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: 1st Gear question