S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

1st to 2nd grind MY04

Old 11-17-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
IMHO skip shifting is not detrimental to the trans life, I have driven all kinds of manuals and owned 27 cars, most of which were manual, from three speeds to 6 speeds, never had an issue with a skip shift, never. my current s2000 which has 75,000 skip shift miles on it shifts like butter when warm.
Whatever. It's your car. Do what you want. Honda technical staff thinks otherwise.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine always did that when cold. Quicker shifts seems to help but warming the vehicle up made it noticeably better
Old 11-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it seems like half the folks think it's normal and half think it shouldn't occur and can be fixed. It bothers me somewhat since I know that I push all the way down on the clutch when I shift. I also have a WRX and that never grinds at all hot or cold. I'm concerned about damaging the gears with the grinding that is occurring. Thanks for all the input thus far.

I ordered some ATE brake fluid to flush the clutch and some Honda MTF fluid to change the transmission fluid as well even though it was changed a year ago by the dealership. It will take a week or so to get all the stuff together and I'll post my results.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Lol...these shift feel threads go on forever.

OP's basically disappear after post #2.

Everyone says that the fluid(s) and method(s) that they use have cured everything. Except everyone uses different fluids and methods...which would lead one to think that there's nothing special about 1 type of fluid or method.

In'it?

The car needs to be properly maintained...including filling it with fluids that match the properties of dealer spec'd fluids. You should know how to drive properly...or learn. No special driving technique or method is needed.

If all that is present...then the trans is just notchy when cold. And notchy at other times as well.

No, grinds are not normal. If you think its abnormal, go let someone who has S2000 experience drive the car. How can anyone on the internet feel what you feel? They're all going to spiral into their theories about how this car needs special fluids and driving methods.

The most lucrative ways to troll are thread titles:
-"what oil is best?"
-"my trans feels weird. Let me describe it to you."
Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

'04 with 24,000 miles. I get a "crunch" shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold. I've decided to ignore with good results.

I was at Billman's and had little to do. He changed my tranny fluid and said it looked like new - after about 21,000 miles.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:24 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
OP's basically disappear after post #2.

Everyone says that the fluid(s) and method(s) that they use have cured everything. Except everyone uses different fluids and methods...which would lead one to think that there's nothing special about 1 type of fluid or method.

Well, he did post directly above yours...

I suppose any brand/model lube that reduces or eliminates a problem; and meets basic manufacturer's requirement is cool. Perhaps, some oils work well for some and not for others, due to how the car was broken in & what kind of service it has seen? Just a WAG...
Old 11-18-2015, 07:00 AM

Lol yes...this thread differs in that the OP stuck around a little longer than expected (damn him!!)

But...my point was that its false information that the car needs any special fluid or method of driving. Its a mass produced Honda. Its not a 1 out of 30, hand built 1960's Ferrari. They're made so that the vast majority can drive them without needing to do anything special.

Nobody can feel what OP feels via the internet because they don't have that technology yet.

Maybe his car is normal, and he's just not used to having a directly linked trans. The WRX trans (which he's used to) feels like stirring a spoon in a milkshake. Or maybe his car does grind gears...even after a fluid change and clutch bleed/adjustment (which we can only assume he's performed correctly). If the latter is the case...he needs a trans rebuild to fix it.

ATE fluid in the clutch hydraulic reservoir won't do anything for trans feel that normal DOT3 will not do. Its not possible that it would change....unless his fluid is boiling...which would be a problem he should tend to instead of using higher temp fluid.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:37 PM

If all that is present...then the trans is just notchy when cold. And notchy at other times as well.

No, grinds are not normal. If you think its abnormal, go let someone who has S2000 experience drive the car. How can anyone on the internet feel what you feel? They're all going to spiral into their theories about how this car needs special fluids and driving methods.
I'm pretty sure anyone who has driven a manual car before knows what grinding is if they've ever experienced it. I'm not sure how anyone would confuse a notchy shifter with a grind. I doubt having another S2000 driver drive the car would be of any benefit because a grind is a grind. I consider it abnormal, but at the same time, it's interesting to see how many people just accept it and live with it. I won't get all the materials needed to change the MTF and clutch fluid until next week.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:40 PM

ATE fluid in the clutch hydraulic reservoir won't do anything for trans feel that normal DOT3 will not do. Its not possible that it would change....unless his fluid is boiling...which would be a problem he should tend to instead of using higher temp fluid.
As for the clutch fluid, it hasn't been changed since the car was built. It's time to change the fluid and in the main threads on this forum about changing the clutch fluid, everyone seemed to recommend the ATE stuff. Obviously it's not the elixir of life, but I thought it was worth going with what people seemed to have success with.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM

ATE works well for brakes because it has a higher boiling point than regular brake fluid. I'm not sure why or how it would work make a clutch hydraulic system work better.

Quick Reply: 1st to 2nd grind MY04