S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1

sdsdf
Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Atheist,Aug 26 2006, 12:17 PM
Right now I am having a funny issue with the idle/cooling system that I can't seem to work out. The idle pulses.

The motor is nearly peiced back together, the only mod is that it has a Hondata IM gasket.
This is pretty typical of our engines with the Hondata gasket, especially if the ambient temps are getting cooler. The gasket stops the flow of engine coolant to the throttle body and Idle Air Control system. You basically have no "carb heat" (old term) and the IAC system thinks the engine is cold all the time, so it artificially holds a higher idle. However, at the same time, the Coolant Temp Sensor is telling the ECU that the engine is warmed up and is trying run it as such. Your ECU is getting mixed signals and what you are seeing is the result.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 26 2006, 10:37 AM
This is pretty typical of our engines with the Hondata gasket, especially if the ambient temps are getting cooler. The gasket stops the flow of engine coolant to the throttle body and Idle Air Control system. You basically have no "carb heat" (old term) and the IAC system thinks the engine is cold all the time, so it artificially holds a higher idle. However, at the same time, the Coolant Temp Sensor is telling the ECU that the engine is warmed up and is trying run it as such. Your ECU is getting mixed signals and what you are seeing is the result.
I had read that it wouldn't have much impact on the idle. Is there any way to smooth it out? It seems like, all things considered, there is a bigger picture here. I just attempted to do the idle re-learn once again and again it just got to a point and then bubbled the overflow tankf ull.

I really think there is something going on thats part of a bigger picture here. Plus, its 80* outside, so I am just not sure that the Hondata gasket would cause this much of an issue regardless.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 AM

You can't depend on anything you read with regards to your car. If memory serves me correctly, you are trying to "piece together" an S2000 made from scavanged parts that are not even stock (ie, modified). What you are trying to do would defy most conventional "S2000 thinking". You've got parts from unknown sources, with unknown problems, as witnessed by your other thread. Help from an internet site, even this one, will be extremely difficult as noone here can possibly fathom the extent of how dramatically you are trying to put this car together.
You say you've read that a Hondata gasket has little impact on the idle. I'm telling you that I've read differently and quite a few owners of this mod have reported unstable idle for the reasons I've already given you. I'm afraid in your position, you can't simply dismiss things that you don't want to hear. I believe by this time, as your car's situation becomes more apparent to those on this forum, fewer and fewer people will stick their necks out in an attempt to give information that may be totally irrelevent due to the "cloudy" nature of your vehicle's background. You did notice that in your other thread, most people who started to contribute, just disappeared, right? The project you chose is very daunting. You are trying to put together a working robot using several different used Mechano sets, some of which have been abondoned by others.
You might want to change your username, because I think you need some sort of Devine intervention.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=xviper,Aug 26 2006, 11:09 AM] You can't depend on anything you read with regards to your car.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist,Aug 26 2006, 01:20 PM
Anyhow, if you're intent is to do nothing more than discourage others from posting and put down my efforts, I'll ask politely that you not reply here. If you're willing to help, though, it'd be appreciated.
It was NOT my intention at all and is purely your own interpretation, however, your latest attitude just put you over the line with me. As you wish, I'm done. You'll never get any further input from me.
Good bye.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:52 AM

ok,

Can anyone else offer some advice?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't disappeared. I just had to be social today. I find this entire project to be fascinating and I'm envious.

Sounds to me like a blown head gasket. First thing I'd do is replace the radiator cap. If the cap's bad the cooling system can't maintain pressure.

If the cap's good then filling and bubbling coolant tank is classic blown HG (or cracked block) symptoms. Likely your coolant system is filling with exhaust gasses.

One way to check this is with an emission tester. Open the radiator, start the car, position the emissions tester over the radiator opening. If you read hydro-carbons, it's blown (or worse but, lets not go there). I'd do a compression/leakdown test.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Aug 26 2006, 12:46 PM
I haven't disappeared. I just had to be social today. I find this entire project to be fascinating and I'm envious.

Sounds to me like a blown head gasket. First thing I'd do is replace the radiator cap. If the cap's bad the cooling system can't maintain pressure.

If the cap's good then filling and bubbling coolant tank is classic blown HG (or cracked block) symptoms. Likely your coolant system is filling with exhaust gasses.

One way to check this is with an emission tester. Open the radiator, start the car, position the emissions tester over the radiator opening. If you read hydro-carbons, it's blown (or worse but, lets not go there). I'd do a compression/leakdown test.
Oh you'd not be envious if you had all of the money into it that I do -- I'm sure of it! Plus, I am going back to school soon so I really am in a time crunch.

I will try the cap, but I'm really doubting that. When you say cracked block, you litterally mean a hole in the block don't you? Or a problem with the sleeves?

I wish I had a garage up north to work on this, or even just a way to get it up there!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the most likely thing's a blown head gasket. I shouldn't have mentioned the cracked block thing. It's possible but, down the list. I'd do the compression test.

I did something similiar once. I bought a Type-R motor on a pallet in pieces. By the time I was done, putting it together with a tranny and axles, I had just about the same money into it as if I'd bought a full swap. Sometimes, something that look cheap ends up being more expensive in the long run.

Rent a u-haul and you can tow it wherever you need to take it. Throw it on a car carrier and go. My buddy dragged his race civic to the track that way.

I have my own project here. Buddy and I hauled his beat up S14 to my house on my trailer with a spare motor. The motor in it's toast. It's been parked in my yard for a month now, and my buddy's nowhere to be found. I told my wife I'd have it running by the end of this coming week. Man, I hate working on Nissans. At least it's OBD2 though so, I can scan it. If he doesn't come back for it, I'm going to use it to teach my 15 year old how to drive stick.