S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

06 voltage problem?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 voltage problem?

I've been having problems with my gauges flickering so I took my car into Alan cox in Marietta and they told me the alternator was fine and that they get a quite a few owners coming in complaining about it. They told me basically just not to worry with it or to maybe try and find an aftermarket alternator. What's the general consensus around here about this issue?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:14 PM

bump im curious to this as well
Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 PM

If ur not having a problem charging then dont get a aftermarket alt! Even if your are get an oem one.. Ive heard of this and think its just a lose connection behind the guage
Old 05-28-2011, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad alternator wouldnt just kill the gauges, it would kill everything, flickering should be loose wire, does the whole cluster flicker? if so, check the ground wire, the whole cluster share a same ground
Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by playground_the
bad alternator wouldnt just kill the gauges, it would kill everything, flickering should be loose wire, does the whole cluster flicker? if so, check the ground wire, the whole cluster share a same ground
A alternator can cause flickering, its done it in a couple of cars I've replaced alternators on. Almost looked like the gauge clusters were pulsing from bright to a bit dim back and forth. It COULD just be on its way out and not totally dead or broken yet.

The alternator was the culprit, as soon as it was replaced the flickering/pulsing went away and hasn't come back on either cars. Im sure it can also be caused by other things so I'd wait to see what other options people give you

You don't have a voltage gauge to see how the alternator is working urself? See if the voltage is steady or not?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 AM

Yeah, I had my alternator checked out and the voltage was stable. Honestly, it's an annoying problem yeah but, not knowing how much trial and error it will take to fix it makes me not even want to worry with it as long as the car is fine.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JmanS2k
Yeah, I had my alternator checked out and the voltage was stable. Honestly, it's an annoying problem yeah but, not knowing how much trial and error it will take to fix it makes me not even want to worry with it as long as the car is fine.

If your willing to do it, if u can find a spare honda alternator or swap with a friend just to see if thats a source of the problem you could always do that. I mean its a bit of work but at least that way your not buying anything and you cross one thing of the check list.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:43 PM

i changed out my alternator with a newer one and the problem went away for a while and now its back. Maybe its a charging problem?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM

i have the same problem... but when im on the gas theres no flickering.... and maybe its because im still on oem battery 80k
Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bunta_garage
i have the same problem... but when im on the gas theres no flickering.... and maybe its because im still on oem battery 80k
I thought that was my problem but, it wasn't. I changed out my battery and it still flickers at a stop.

Quick Reply: 06 voltage problem?