S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

06 bog problem / Flashpro remedy / solutions?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Prophet.
S2ki,

A month ago I traded my ap1 for a 2006 ap2. I have been somewhat regretting it due to the common bog issue with these cars... It is really ruining my ap2 experience. I know the 06-07 part-throttle-low-rpm-bog issue has been beaten to death, but even after heavy research here, I havent found any solid answers. None of the threads seem to have solid answers but they all bring up the same problem.

The biggest thread on here about that bog had really vague solutions and a handful of guys said A full Flashpro tune would solve the problem, while others said they just live with it (which i will completely refuse to.) One guy mentioned a lean condition right at throttle tip in around 2-3k rpms which was the only answer i came across that made sense, but he was the only person in all the threads i read that mentioned this and had graphs as proof. Not to mention he said Flashpro cant fix it unless i ran a different standalone due to a certain feature Flashpro lacked that other ems's such as aem had. Others said its a dbw problem but based on my previous Honda dbw experiences, i have a strong feeling it is not related to that or the latency experienced with dbw systems due to the conditions occuring when it bogs. Plenty blamed the clutch delay valve but i know for sure it isnt due to how the problem can be induced while youre already in a gear.

In a nutshell, when driving normally, the car will bog under quick part-throttle application in any gear but only at lower rpms... Ive noticed it mainly happening between 2 to 3k rpms. I rarely feel it during spirited driving. Dont get this confused with the common hesitation, even i felt that in my ap1 and my integras, etc. The bog almost feels like a car acting weird that needs a tune, or as some others have described, throttle plate partially closing for half a second then opening back up. Or even timing going whack for a second.

Everything ignition related, fuel related, ecu and dbw related are all good. Just like many others who deal with this, its almost a mystery. And no, i highly doubt it is heat soak as i have experienced that in my old ap1 and there have been times in heavy traffic, which is when the problem Always happens, in 90-100 degree weather and i wouldnt be able to induce the bog.

There are so many contradicting threads and responses that im really frustrated and having to type this whole post on an ipad is working my nerves even more... Hahah.

Lets assume all other variables (spark plugs, throttle body, etc etc.) are all fine... So my question is for those who kept saying Flashpro will fix the problem... Will it? im talking about a full tune, not running one of the preset calibrations. Does anybody who have fought this have a solid solution? Anything?

All of you guys' input and any help would be greatly appreciated and would put my mind at ease. Thank you!
I do not have a flashpro but my my06 bought used had been sent in for a reflash. I have no bogging issues at any rpm so I assume that is what fixed it.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It would be nice to see a log of a good one too.

But here's the thing about this problem. It is not binary (ironic pun intended). There are varying degrees of it. Ranging from, a long time till torque starts increasing after throttle opening, to almost none, and everywhere in between. Different drivers have varying levels of what they would think is an 'acceptable' amount of throttle response lag. When this time lag is too much we call it 'hesitation' but what it really feels like is nothing happened when we opened the throttle. For some this needs to occur for almost a full second before they will think something is wrong. Others who have driven other cars that respond quickly to throttle will be more sensitive. I believe a 2.2L high compression engine should be very responsive and my threshold for what I consider sub-optimal might be lower than others.