S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

06+ Aftermarket seats - Airbag light

Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06+ Aftermarket seats - Airbag light

I just purchased a 2006 Honda S2000 with Sparco Chrono Sport seats installed. Either the previous owner was a butcher or the original seats were stolen as the connectors for the driver's side position sensor and the passenger side weight sensor were both cut off. I am in the process of installing a set of 2008 S2000 seats, which brings me to a few questions I had:

1) Why is the airbag light not on if both the position sensor and weight sensor are disconnected I would expect this to throw the light. The wiring is simply cut with electrical tape over the ends, no resistors or anything I can see. The airbag light on dash illuminates when you turn the key on but then goes out when you start the car. I looked under the radio it appears the SRS module is connected.

2) On the driver's side seat position sensor there is a two wire plug - one green and one grey on the car side, then one white and one black on the seat side. Can anyone tell me how these connect green to black or white? I looked thru the service manual and could not find the answer should be easy to look under the seat with a flashlight and verify.

3) If anyone knows a source to get the passenger side weight sensor plug that would be of great help as well. I have the sensor but the plug on the car side was cut off. I am currently calling junkyards, but most want to sell seats not a cheap plug.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Update on issue:

1) The airbag light was never on at any point, I thought the EPS light which on 06+ cars looks like a steering wheel with an exclamation point was the airbag light. After consulting the owners manual I realize the light was for electric power steering.

2) I acquired a set of 08 seats with all sensors and rails. The seats are now installed with all sensors connected. Luckily I had a friend in the towing and recovery that was able to source the plug for the passenger side weight sensor. For future reference the Accord and CRV use the same weight sensor, so we snagged a plug off a wrecked Accord.

3) Current problem is the airbag light never comes, all other lights illuminate when you turn the key and then go out after six seconds or when you start the car. I followed the factory service manual and it has you test for voltage on a pink #19 wire on connector B attached to the back of the instrument cluster. If you get less than 11V then it says the problem is in the SRS instrument display. Any ideas? I am thinking I need to take the car to the dealer and maybe they can at least tell me if the SRS module is good. Does anyone know if you disconnect the SRS module should the SRS light come on?

-David
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They probably removed the lightbulb from the dash

J
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by R1_Pilot,Feb 11 2011, 08:45 AM
They probably removed the lightbulb from the dash

J
That was my first thought as well, checked the bulb and swapped with a known good bulb, still no SRS light.

Currently the car is at dealer getting a new instrument cluster as the dealer believes the SRS indicator circuit is burned out. I requested the dealer program the new dash with mileage from the old dash so that is taking longer as I believe they have to ship dash off for programming. Will report back the final results.

-David
Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Car is fixed, Honda dealer received a big check, I have no real idea what the real problem was. I requested the old instrument panel back and was told it was returned for a core. After checking with parts department there is no core on the dash.

My guess is they reinstalled my dash and charged me for a new dash. Then had 8 hrs or so in labor time in resolving the problem, but only charged me for 3 hrs of labor time.

-David