S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

06-07 Brake Booster Recall (TESTED)

Old 06-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 06-07 Brake Booster Recall (TESTED)

Hey guys,

As most of you know, there is a brake booster recall affecting certain 06-07 models. Press release found HERE. I own an 06. I tried entering my vin on the Honda recall check page, but nothing was showing up. So, I called Honda head office, gave them my vin, and my car is listed within the affected range. They told me the full list should be compiled by mid July (as we already knew).

I've been having problems with my brake system the past couple of seasons. I've tried everything, including dozens of brake fluid bleeds. I even replaced my master cylinder with a brand new OEM unit. Still, I've been having problems during hard braking on track. I sometimes have to press the pedal with ALOT of force, comparable to a race car without any brake assist. Also, I have a strange clicking noise when the pedal is pressed hard and fast (had already checked mechanical pedal linkage, and all was good). The clicking noise seemed to be originating from the firewall. Having already replaced the master cylinder, and checked the actual brake pedal, the only other possibility in my mind was a faulty/busted brake booster. Sure enough, it turns out my car is affected by the recall.

For reference, I'm running a stoptech BBK up front, OEM sized rear discs and PFC08/97 pads. A friend of mine has the exact same setup on his 05, and his brakes are fantastic, so the problem is not setup related.

Anyhow, I saw the Honda TSB today, found here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V246-5691.pdf

I performed the diagnosis procedure per the TSB. According to the TSB, the maximum allowed deflection is .75mm, or .030". Anything over this amount requires replacement of the brake booster. When I performed the test, I measured .058" of deflection at the end of the brake master cylinder. Bottom line, I need a new brake booster.

I will report back after I contact my local dealer. I'm aware that they haven't started to send notices yet, but I'd rather get this problem solved sooner than later. Lets see what happens!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't checked my VIN yet, but guessing mine needs to be replaced. Had a close call when at the Dragon thanks to a brake pedal that suddenly didn't respond like it had been on all the other corners. Been taking it easy lately so I don't have any other close calls.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:06 PM

I can already see what gonna happen here. I've checked my VIN and says no recalls at this time. My brake pedal sucks. Fresh brake job front and back, bled them with new fluid when I first got the car, and I have to almost stand on the pedal for short stops. So, I'm gonna go to the dealer and they're probably going to say that my car isn't eligible.

EDIT: Hey OP, you said you called Honda head office. Is that your local office? Just canada? Or a general Honda corporate number?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i also suspect my booster is not good. i have sometimes some weird things.
strangely the http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls page says my VIN is wrong
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redwing497
I can already see what gonna happen here. I've checked my VIN and says no recalls at this time. My brake pedal sucks. Fresh brake job front and back, bled them with new fluid when I first got the car, and I have to almost stand on the pedal for short stops. So, I'm gonna go to the dealer and they're probably going to say that my car isn't eligible.

EDIT: Hey OP, you said you called Honda head office. Is that your local office? Just canada? Or a general Honda corporate number?
Hey man, my car was originally a US car, so I called American Honda.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

I just recieved a call from my local Honda dealer saying about the recall and they are ordering in a part for me, mines an 08 plate though so maybe it isnt just 06-07 s2000's that they are recalling
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 AM

A friend sent me the info about this recall the other day. I am pretty sure this is the cause of my braking issues on my 07. Every once in a while when braking it just feels like the brakes have overheated/faded. I know this is not the case since sometimes this happens coming off the highway. You can definitely get yourself into a lot of trouble when this problem occurs, since the braking power of the car is severely reduced. I have not heard anything yet from my dealer or Honda. It will be interesting to see if I am in the VIN range for the recall.

John
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM

As of now my VIN comes back with no recalls.

John

Originally Posted by GPW AP2
A friend sent me the info about this recall the other day. I am pretty sure this is the cause of my braking issues on my 07. Every once in a while when braking it just feels like the brakes have overheated/faded. I know this is not the case since sometimes this happens coming off the highway. You can definitely get yourself into a lot of trouble when this problem occurs, since the braking power of the car is severely reduced. I have not heard anything yet from my dealer or Honda. It will be interesting to see if I am in the VIN range for the recall.

John
Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '08, supposedly not affected by this issue, but after 3 brake system bleeds, by 3 different people, my pedal is still unusually soft, & a bit inconsistent. It often has too much travel, sinking below the gas pedal and making heel-toe maneuvers now awkward. I might try replacing this before the master cylinder.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Took mine in today and it's within spec, .015", didn't have any complaints about the braking, but thought I'd take it in just to be sure.

Quick Reply: 06-07 Brake Booster Recall (TESTED)