S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

05 S2000 Rattle in motor when shifting

Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 S2000 Rattle in motor when shifting

Help!

My 05 seems to have a valve rattle when I shift at around 5000 rpm and then let the rpms drop back down.

Is sounds cool, but I'm not sure if it is the correct sound.

Even when it is in the drive way and I just rev it up to 4000 rpms and then let off the accelerator, you can hear the rattle under the hood. Almost sounds like a disel truck tapping the jake brake -decompresion switch!

When I open the hood and operate the throtle in the engine compartment I hear the rattle as well It sounds internal and it is in the upper end of the engine.

Car has 4500 miles on it and a K&N filter and carbon fiber cooling panel!

Could it just be the air that I am hearing up top?

Motor is quite when just driving around! Only happens when shifting and then getting back on the gas!

Thoughts aprreciated!

Rob
Old 11-25-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like a shield or somethin, i had the same problem at 3grand, but it went away.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:55 PM

I checked the shield it's fine!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil level at proper level? If it gets a little low you can hear the valves objecting....will go away when oil level topped off. Or it could be your valves are a little out of adjustment.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Oil level is fine!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:02 AM

Come on everyone! Give me all your thoughts on this!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:40 PM

To be perfectly honest, threads like this are nearly impossible to diagnose without hearing a sound/video clip of the noise in question. A "rattle" to you might sound like a "tick" to someone else. The only surefire way to get more and better input is to let us hear the sound.
From your description it would seem easy enough to duplicate the sound as you can rev the car in your driveway and shoot a video of what's going on. When you rev the engine in your driveway, does the noise stay the same regardless of whether or not you have your clutch pedal depressed?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 AM

The noise is the same whether the clutch pedal is pressed or not.

The noise occurs when I shift and then get on the gas! It only occurs for a second. It almost seems like it is the air going back into the cylinder head after getting on the throttle again.

Thanks for all you rhelp

I will try to record the noise!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 AM

The noise is the same whether the clutch pedal is pressed or not.

The noise occurs when I shift and then get on the gas! It only occurs for a second. It almost seems like it is the air going back into the cylinder head after getting on the throttle again.

Thanks for all your help!

I will try to record the noise!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Is this noise happening when your engine is decelerating the most? Your first post suggested this, however your last post sounds like it's happening when you're accelerating. If you can pinpoint what is unique about the times when you hear the sound, we may be able to figure this out.

My first guess would have been a heat shield near the converter, but if it's coming from around the head, that can't be it. It doesn't sound like a timing chain tensioner, but if it's happening at peak deceleration, that's something I'd look into.

Another suggestion: If you have removed the stock airbox, you might want to try putting it back on to see if the sound is still there. The stock airbox is great for reducing normal sounds, and this would eliminate some possible causes.

Quick Reply: 05 S2000 Rattle in motor when shifting