S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

03 S2000 consuming a lot more oil than normal

Old 06-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Pause.

Since you're confident that there are no leaks...

Did you smell or see all this oil smoke that would result from burning all that oil?

I'd start from scratch.

I am sorry I have to ask. The engine is off when you're checking, yes?

Are you checking oil on a level surface? Not a driveway or something. Most parking spots aren't level either. A garage is a good place...or usually the cement pad in front of the gas pump at a gas station (where you park to fill your car up).

And you've given the oil a few mins to drip back into the pan?

If all that checks out, do your oil change and monitor the issue to see if it was just an error or fluke.

You don't know whether the oil oil was full of moisture, or how old it is or what weight it is. My AP2 burned a lot of oil when I got it because the oil had a ton of moisture in it....probably from the PO periodically starting the car while in storage to let it run. An oil change took care of it for me.

If consumption persists, check simple stuff after that. PCV or breather clogs, etc. Is there a catch can installed (hope not, unless this is going to be tracked heavily)?

If all THAT doesn't stop the oil consumption...and you're sure that your compression is good....
Have the valve seals done. Its not that bad of a job for a good tech. Pull the valve cover, pull the cams, pressurize the cylinder at TDC...and pull those mothers right out.

If that doesn't work...you unfortunately probably have oil control ring issues. Sometimes, using synthetic oil will clean this up over time.

Use a Honda branded S2000 filter. Torque it to spec. Because you cannot tighten it by hand. The tool to do this are all over eBay for $20-30.

Last edited by B serious; 06-10-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:01 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Get a new PCV valve and PCV hose. this greatly improved my oil consumption (relative to where it was at).

check both sides of the dipstick and use the lower reading. check multiple times to be careful not to overfill.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Agree with @B serious and his additional notes about waiting and letting oil drain.

I specifically remember thinking my oil was all over the place when I first got the car.

You are supposed to check the level Hot. - I never do. i used to be the Honda guy that pops the hood at the gas station and check oil level during fill up. But this car is sensitive not only do dip stick side like I mentioned, but level surface, and waiting long enough for it to drain down. Not all gas stations are level.

I always check my oil level, in my LEVEL garage before I take a ride now instead of the gas station. So I am sacrificing hot checking like the owners owners says but I get consistency in my readings.

​​​​​​​Also as mentioned some ap1s burn some oil. You should just always have oil. Always.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:34 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I always check my oil level, in my LEVEL garage before I take a ride now instead of the gas station. So I am sacrificing hot checking like the owners owners says but I get consistency in my readings.
I do this too. Its the only way that I can be sure that the results are consistent.

But, my thought for op is to pull the spark plugs, which is easy to do, and see how they look. If you are burning that much oil in the combustion chambers the plugs will generally look oily.

If the engine is running well I doubt you are burning all that oil. When you burn that much oil the engine will usually start running like crap with misfires etc. because the plugs get fouled and usually there is a compression problem - but not always.

How many miles are there on the motor?
Old 06-16-2020, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for helping out guys. I’ve since did an oil change with Amsoil 10W30 and the oil consumption seems to have stopped (it actually stopped before the oil change). I’m not sure what was up with the car the night I got it, but I’m glad it seems fine now. Car is running great, and I even brought it to an autocross and had no problems!
Old 06-16-2020, 05:04 AM

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Mine got higher last year, replaced oil cap, back to normal. Still running M1, barely using any oil again Another member has a write up about the oil cap gasket and its effects on his oil consumption. My gasket was toast and just ordered a new cap since the writing on mine was mostly gone and it was cheap.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Mine got higher last year, replaced oil cap, back to normal. Still running M1, barely using any oil again Another member has a write up about the oil cap gasket and its effects on his oil consumption. My gasket was toast and just ordered a new cap since the writing on mine was mostly gone and it was cheap.
Do you mean the oil cap on the valve cover? That might be the culprit since it looks a little darker than the rest of the valve cover, but that might also be from the oil I spill when I try to fill it up without a funnel It seems fine for now though, and I'll continue to check the oil level before driving every time.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:16 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Glad its all sorted out. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Seanlhy (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 07:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,234 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Order a new gasket for the oil cap at any Honda/Acura dealer. No need to replace the whole cap. These gaskets fossilize (yours is stone right now) and make tightening the cap difficult without tools -- if it's loose it will fall off and end up trapped down there somewhere and rattle.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 06-17-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Order a new gasket for the oil cap at any Honda/Acura dealer. No need to replace the while cap. These gaskets fossilize (yours is stone right now) and make tightening the cap difficult without tools -- if it's loose it will fall off and end up trapped down there somewhere and rattle.

-- Chuck
Do you have the part number for the gasket?

Quick Reply: 03 S2000 consuming a lot more oil than normal