S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

'03 with Gear Grinding

Old 05-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have roughly 5500 miles...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:39 AM

well, this makes two of us then.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

yeah..im planning to complain some more with honda....trying to blame it on tsb....heard you get a new clutch too
Old 05-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by hchu304
yeah..im planning to complain some more with honda....trying to blame it on tsb....heard you get a new clutch too
It's gonna be pretty hard blaming it on TSBs that don't even apply to you. The TSBs addressed issues with early models only. The '02-'03 models already have the updated parts. I recommend going with the educated, well researched approach... "I have a new S2000 that frequently grinds into 2nd gear. I have found that this is a common problem among some S2000 transmissions, and I want it fixed."
Old 05-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Banned

never thought about that...sounds good...
Old 05-19-2003, 06:57 PM

I have found that for me the second gear grind is definitely temperature related, or more precisely lack of cooling. My gear box will not grind if I keep on driving, no matter how hard or fast. I suspect the air flow under the car will keep the gearbox within designed operating temperature. The only time my second gear grinds is when I take a break and shut down the car for anywhere between 5-30 minutes then start driving again, it will occasionally grind if I rush the first shift. A more deliberate and slow shift in the first few shifts seem to help me. I believe the lack of fluid flow and localized hotspots cause the gears and the fluid to be way above their designed operating temperature and cause the grind. It is during this dead time the gearbox reaches its highest temperature.

I not saying this is the cause of every second gear grind. For me, I have correlated the above to my grinds. Easy and slow shift first few minutes from cold and hot have reduce the number of grinds for me.

BTW, mine is an 02
Old 05-19-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Originally posted by twohoos
Try a different transmission fluid. People have had luck with GM Synchromesh, Redline MTL, etc.
Changing the transmission fluid has been a solution for some owners, including mine. I didn't rush in to it, as I wanted everything to seat properly before changing; that was my logic for waiting until I had 8k miles. That's a judgement call... how long to wait. I stayed with Honda manual transmission fluid and my shifts fine now. And, equally important to me, I've not done anything that might be questionable if a warranty issue were to arise over the tranny.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would vote for the temp as well. If you are stuck in stop and go traffic for a long time, the chance of grinding will increase. If you are moving for a while the aiflow is enough to keep the tranny within operating temps, the chance of grinding is very small. Heat build-up either from parking it for a few minutes or crawling in stop and go traffic or not good situation, just be very precise with the 1st - 2nd shift to avoid the GRRRRRRR..
Old 05-19-2003, 07:58 PM

Ok. if this grinding is related to heating of tranny and from previous remarks about replacing the tranny fluid with aftermarket would reduce grinding then it all makes sense. Well for now it makes sense. I'm seriously considering changing tranny fluid.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it is temperature related but it is not a fluid level issue. This issue has been discussed thousands of time for over three years.

As has been posted many times, this box requires very close tolerances to operate properly. Some are close enough that they work properly in all operating temps, but many grind when heat causes component dimension change as well as some viscosity change in the lubricant.

The most common complaints about grind are when the box has not had a chance to cool, the first 1-2 shift after a long high-speed run (thus all the tollbooth grinds) or extended high rpm use in the lower gears (autox, etc.). Spirited street driving in higher ambient temperatures bring out the 1-2 grind for many.

Although AHM will rebuild/replace the box sometimes when it is very bad, most of the time the only option is to reduce the grind with regular fluid changes. Fresh fluids hold their viscosity and in hot climes the slightly heavier lubes (MT-90, etc.) provide some help.

This is a undesirable trait of the box and is just not going to change without a revamp if the design, so we are just stuck with it and need to make the best of the situation.

Quick Reply: '03 with Gear Grinding