S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

'02 Transmission: 1-2 Grind and Notchy

Old 04-01-2002, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MarkS2K
Would you care to share those tips with us??

tips from xviper:

Apply constant pressure to the right while pulling the shifter down to 6th. If you do not keep the shifter "planted" as far to the right as it will go, the spring will cause you to hit the "separator" between 4th & 6th. Make sure you do NOT push stick down into the console. Although reverse would be quite difficult to engage at those speeds, it would be quite ugly if you happened to manage to do it.
As for the 1-2 shift, apply pressure to the left and bring it down to second. First feel the first resistance and then pull pass it with constant pressure. For the 2-3 shift, if you cut the corner you'll feel a notch. If you pass through neutral and then head straight up then the notch wouldn't be there. I think xviper can explain this better than I.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i am late to the party but i also had notchy shifting. 06 w 53k miles on it. changed to amsoil tranny fluid, that helped. convinced the dealer to change the master cylinder (saw a leak) and that took away 90% of the notchiness. i still have little slaps or clicks when im going into 1,2 or 3. i guess thats normal.

when i can i try to blip the throttle in traffic. meaning i lean the shifter into the gate intend to shift into then tap the gas to ~3k rpm and that usually makes my shifter slide right in. or i split my shifting throw into two parts: one until the gate, pause, two into gear. i drive through a lot of traffic so this is how i adapted haha and i alternate between both strategies, do both or sometimes neither... i honestly feel i shouldnt be putting this much effort into it but its a compromise im cool with.

however lately it has began grinding when shifting into second. the kind of grind that still lets me into gear but definitely a grind; not a notch, slap, snag or click. despite the maintenance or the effort it does that grind when things are cold and im just pulling away from my parking spot.

dont know what to do. thats where the ball is at. will try to complete the transmission maintenance trifecta and take out slack from my pedal. hopefully that does the trick!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I double clutch the 1-2 shift until the gearbox warms up - clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, 2nd gear, blip, clutch out. Pain in the ass but mine shifts much smoother into 2nd that way until things have warmed up enough, then it'll shift normally. Using Amsoil MTF.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by kapitanemo
wow i am late to the party but i also had notchy shifting. 06 w 53k miles on it. changed to amsoil tranny fluid, that helped. convinced the dealer to change the master cylinder (saw a leak) and that took away 90% of the notchiness. i still have little slaps or clicks when im going into 1,2 or 3. i guess thats normal.

when i can i try to blip the throttle in traffic. meaning i lean the shifter into the gate intend to shift into then tap the gas to ~3k rpm and that usually makes my shifter slide right in. or i split my shifting throw into two parts: one until the gate, pause, two into gear. i drive through a lot of traffic so this is how i adapted haha and i alternate between both strategies, do both or sometimes neither... i honestly feel i shouldnt be putting this much effort into it but its a compromise im cool with.

however lately it has began grinding when shifting into second. the kind of grind that still lets me into gear but definitely a grind; not a notch, slap, snag or click. despite the maintenance or the effort it does that grind when things are cold and im just pulling away from my parking spot.

dont know what to do. thats where the ball is at. will try to complete the transmission maintenance trifecta and take out slack from my pedal. hopefully that does the trick!
More knowledgeable members will be able to contribute, but are you experiencing the issues through downshift or upshift? If it's down shift and you're struggling to shift without applying throttle, then you're looking at a synchro issue. As far as I've read, the 2nd gear synchro will be the first to go on the s2k transmission, especially if it isn't looked after. Other contributing factors are the clutch, ensuring that it's properly engaged the entire way, and if there's any clutch slippage the transmission is going to suffer from the increased force.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

You shouldn't need to double clutch the s2k transmission unless your synchros are shot, and at that point you'll want to spend some coin getting a 2nd hand tranny.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by shrykhar
I double clutch the 1-2 shift until the gearbox warms up - clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, 2nd gear, blip, clutch out. Pain in the ass but mine shifts much smoother into 2nd that way until things have warmed up enough, then it'll shift normally. Using Amsoil MTF.
I was having similar problems especially on really cold starts, so I'd just sit there shifting it through the gears up and down a few times until it was smooth 1st through 3rd. With new trans fluid in I don't have a problem at all using OEM MTF, all that notchy, clunky feeling has gone as well and its pretty smooth. Surprised that you're double shifting you shouldn't need to do that unless you're having synchro issues?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by freaked_out
Originally Posted by shrykhar' timestamp='1362726572' post='22388860
I was having similar problems especially on really cold starts, so I'd just sit there shifting it through the gears up and down a few times until it was smooth 1st through 3rd. With new trans fluid in I don't have a problem at all using OEM MTF, all that notchy, clunky feeling has gone as well and its pretty smooth. Surprised that you're double shifting you shouldn't need to do that unless you're having synchro issues?
Oh I just remembered something from when I was debating whether to go OEM MTF or Amsoil MTF. Amsoil MTF is not as good in the cold as OEM MTF. This is because of its viscosity rating at colder temperatures being higer (i think, not familiar with the direction of viscosity ratings...) than that of OEM MTF.

Id hate to find out my 2nd gear synchros are shot :-/