S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

02 s2000 turbo,new member, need help

Old 03-28-2003, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 s2000 turbo,new member, need help

I've got a 2002 s2000 with a custom turbo and have had nothing but problems with my tuner. I too have an aem ems but I feel as though it's not tunned correctly. I have problems with extended crank time on start up as well as stalling out occasionally when the car is cold as well as some pretty nasty hesitation. The hesitation and stalling out problem goes away as soon as the car warms up. I'm also having a problem with going from full throttle to part throttle. The car feels as though it's getting no gas when the rpm's are rising with my foot mashed on the gas and I let of even one inch, once I get back on the gas I've got nothing. I have to let the rpm's drop before I can get back on it. Please help.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:51 PM

It looks like you jumped into a whole heap too quickly... I would stop driving the car right now! You can hurt the engine badly with this poor tuning... I suggest you put the stock ecu back in until you, yourself have had some time to play with the EMS. You can however contact AEM and try to see if there is a creditable tuner near you.

bryan
Old 03-28-2003, 06:51 PM

Yeah I would not drive it until it is tuned, what type of kit do you have? you should PM cjb80, he uses the aem ems, i think. Contact AEM and try to find someone who know how to tune it good luck
Old 03-28-2003, 10:09 PM

Unfortunatelly putting the stock ecu won't work as there are other engine modifications which it may not be able to handle (9:1 aluminum forged pistons and 440cc injectors).
The tuner on the car was Tempest Racing in Maryland. He did a great job on the set up, as it was totally custom and much different from the speed craft version, but unfortunatelly his expirience is with the electromotive tec 2 ems system, and this was his first try at an aem.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:48 PM

I have the same compression with the internals and all research led to using 720cc injectors. My car should be finished this coming week by Modified Motorsports in Harrisburgh PA, they are tunning the AEM for me. I have the speedcraft kit with lowered compresion (JE pistons). Call them and tell them Julio sent you they will take care of you. Good luck. Their # is 717-545-4742.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by druiz80
I've got a 2002 s2000 with a custom turbo and have had nothing but problems with my tuner. I too have an aem ems but I feel as though it's not tunned correctly. I have problems with extended crank time on start up as well as stalling out occasionally when the car is cold as well as some pretty nasty hesitation. The hesitation and stalling out problem goes away as soon as the car warms up. I'm also having a problem with going from full throttle to part throttle. The car feels as though it's getting no gas when the rpm's are rising with my foot mashed on the gas and I let of even one inch, once I get back on the gas I've got nothing. I have to let the rpm's drop before I can get back on it. Please help.
1. Extended crank time is normal when using AEM EMS. Their unit need to check up all sensors before it allows the motor to be fired. Stock ecu does it faster than AEM. You can however turn on " early sync" and it will help you start a bit faster but not by that much.

2. Warm up problem is associated alot with IAT sensor and coolant sensor. Make sure you warm up correctly by tuning the Warm up enrichment. Then, make sure all the spec on the sensor is caliberated correctly. Then you start tuning the IAT fuel correction. This part is a bit pain in the butt.

3. part throttle to full throttle hesitation is associated with Accel fueling. If you have major hesitation during throttle tip in, do not press gas fast. You might get throttle tip in detonation. Adjust the Accel fuel options as manual say.

If you do not understand how to set up your EMS or have the experience to tune, I highly suggest you take it to a professional. Not any ems professional but the one that are tuning the AEM unit heavily. Good luck boosting!!!

visit www.aempower.com and go to ems forum to find more answers.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by godreau2029
[B]I have the same compression with the internals and all research led to using 720cc injectors.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:23 PM

Hey check out modified motorsports in harrisburg,pa. My friends eclipse is being tuned there and he has the aem ems on his making around 600 horses. If you need a number i can ask my friend.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same place godreau2029 just recommended. I've been there and was surprised with their honesty and professionalism. They do work on dsm's but they have a partner that does all dsm stuff. Their owner has been a Honda tech for over 10 years and went to all the S2000 training classes ect so he really knows the car. They are the ones that did that silver comptech SC w/intercooler with L creation body kit that someone from Ohio just bought on here for 38k. They are in the process of tuning Julio's (godreau2029) turbo s2k with the AEM so if everything goes well, contact them. The owner is running an AEM on his civic so they do have experience with it. good luck. -Anthony
Old 03-31-2003, 04:54 PM

I actually made a mistake my friend is at dynamic motorsports near philly. That is his friends old s you are talking about but i heard many good things about modified also so either place would be great and i think my friends car is around 35psi now and was in superstreet a few months back so both places are very credible for tuning.