S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

'00 vs '02 dyno HP differences

Old 01-05-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the S2000 ECU is not flashable in stock form.

UL
Old 01-05-2003, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've swapped my '02 with an '01 at autocross. The two has more bottom and midrange pull, but the one is faster when wrung out. It is an obvious difference in feel. Subtle, but obvious. Does it make a difference at the end of the day? No. Would I spend money to fix it? No. I would spend the money and trade to a Z06 and quit having these philosophical arguments.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chipperman
[B]I've swapped my '02 with an '01 at autocross. The two has more bottom and midrange pull, but the one is faster when wrung out. It is an obvious difference in feel. Subtle, but obvious. Does it make a difference at the end of the day? No. Would I spend money to fix it? No.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:30 AM

I agree with tenblade. Assuming the ECU is the difference, I'm going to be keeping an eye out for wrecked '02 s2ks.

If it's the different valve adjustment like I suggested above, I'll be under the hood tweaking it out a bit.

As for dyno results, I'm not so much concerned about peak power. What I'm interested in is how much greater is the area under the curve.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PilotChris
[B]From what I recall the valve adjustment.. the guy was saying the '02 models had the one of the intake valves on each cylinder close to the upper limit of the spec and the other intake valve close to the lower limit and both exhaust valves down near the lower limit.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:58 AM

How easy is it to swap the ECU. I thought you had to reprogram the immobilizer?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by S2K_LA
How easy is it to swap the ECU. I thought you had to reprogram the immobilizer?
I've been told that you just tape the recipient's key to the donor's key pointing away from each other. I haven't tried it.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:21 AM

The search is working again! I just found the post about that cyclone effect I was talking about. Here's what one of the guys had to say about it...

------------------------
I just wanted to throw in something here quickly. I was talking to my Honda tech about valves. I was telling him how I thought it was interesting that you would find valves on the same cylinder both within spec yet so far apart from each other. He told me something that was interesting. If you set one of your intake valves to the lowest end of the adjustment range where it opens more and then set the other to the highest end of the adjustment range where it opens less, then you will create a swirl pattern into the combustion chamber. He's told me that he's noticed some F20C's are coming adjusted like this. I'm going to adjust my valves this way prior to my next dyno run to test it. He stressed to me to make sure that you stay within tolerances though. Dont know what you guys think about it, but sounds interesting enough.
------------------------
It seems noone followed up with to see if anything became of it.

Thinking about it more, maybe the '02+ models are picking up their greater WHP with the upgraded transmission that came in '02. I'm wondering if the somewhere with in the drive train was just made more efficient, so that the same 240HP engine isn't losing as much putting power to the rear wheels.
It seems like if it were the valves or ECU then wouldn't that show as a power increase at the flywheel and then Honda would now state that the '02+ models now have 245 - 250HP?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by PilotChris

------------------------
I just wanted to throw in something here quickly. I was talking to my Honda tech about valves. I was telling him how I thought it was interesting that you would find valves on the same cylinder both within spec yet so far apart from each other. He told me something that was interesting. If you set one of your intake valves to the lowest end of the adjustment range where it opens more and then set the other to the highest end of the adjustment range where it opens less, then you will create a swirl pattern into the combustion chamber. He's told me that he's noticed some F20C's are coming adjusted like this. I'm going to adjust my valves this way prior to my next dyno run to test it. He stressed to me to make sure that you stay within tolerances though. Dont know what you guys think about it, but sounds interesting enough.
------------------------
That Honda tech needs to study the specs on the cams.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:28 AM

Gernby, I am trying to understand. I think with the valve clearances as described by PilotChris, it wouldn't matter what cam is actuating the valves. The differences will remain as the upper, lower limits of spec for the intakes.

It does make sense that different opening sequence of intake valves might induce some swirl effect of the intake charge, which might benefit flame propagation and lead to more complete burning.

Quick Reply: '00 vs '02 dyno HP differences