S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

'00 tranny upgrades to '04 gears? Possible?

Old 11-10-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '00 tranny upgrades to '04 gears? Possible?

Any ideas if the newer gear sets will fit older transmissions?

I am considering buying a used tranny and updating it to the newer ratios. I considered a final drive change but I do too much highway driving for that. I figure it will be perfect match since it gives me the shorter 1-4 gears to get more out of the SC but keeps the highway gear I absolutely need.

I'm also considering doing the work myself, though that may not be possible because I don't have access to a press anymore. I've done a few transmissions years ago (VW & 914) but haven't tackled any lately. The good news is I have plenty of time to do it since it would be a spare transmission I'm working on.

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say that they will fit without a problem, but you won't really know until you try.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:20 PM

I'd like to do this too. Anyone know how much this will cost? While the transmission is out I could get the gears cyro-treated to handle the power of F/I.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I am interested in this as well. What I am most interested in are the new syncros. Keep us updated.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:41 PM

Would it be easier to just change out the entire transmission? Also how much more would this cost?
Old 11-11-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A much less costly option would be just doing the rear gear set - I would wait to get some field experience with the carbon synchros before messing with that approach. I have them on my SVT Cobra's TTC T-56 transmission, and as i posted previously, there were reported problems with glazing of the carbon; my opinion is that people who went to super-slippery tranny oils made a mistake. That is why i am recommending stick with Honda's MTF until we get some experience with other fluids in there - that is what i am doing, and I am of course a proponent of advancd aftermarket lubes elsewhere.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It makes sense that the secondary reduction gear and 5th and 6th would drop right in but you never know. I'd ask a dealer but I'm not sure they would know either.

I'm not convinced I want to do the new synchro's yet. I've got an '00 transmission and never had the second gear grind fix done to it, and have what I would call a mild case of "slow second". It never grinds but sometimes it's just slower than the other gears to engage and takes a little more effort. I have to make sure the clutch is fully planted on the floor when shifting 1-2 but don't have to be so careful with the rest of them.

My point is that I'm reasonably happy with the "problem" synchros in the '00 transmission and will most likely be estatic just to get new standard synchros. I'd hate to put all this work and money into it and have to yank it back out because a problem develops with the new CF parts.

Any clues on what a reasonable price is on a used tranny? I've not seen too many for sale.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:47 PM

I would really like to have the new carbon synchros, but the gearing just didn't seem right for the car. Maybe some of it was the engine not being broken in. I suppose with 9000 rpm to play with the gears wouldn't seem quite as short. Having the new dif might not be bad either.

p.s. Hey modifry you never did answer my post over at www.s2000atlanta.com what do you think about preparing an S for FI?

Doesn't moyo have a used tranny for sale right now?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't the '04 have a taller 6th gear than the '00-'03's 6th? If so, I was thinking it would make more since to combine the new 6th gear with 4.77 final drive.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:16 PM

Yes, but with the trouble of removing the transmission and cracking the case open, you might as well do a little more work than just putting in the taller 6th gear. Although I agree I really want that 6th.

Quick Reply: '00 tranny upgrades to '04 gears? Possible?