S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

00' Soft top plastic window cracked

Old 12-04-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the glass window top, go to ebay and look for tops from topsonline.com (the guy who runs the place is named Vic, and he sometimes posts on this board.) Anyway, the no-defroster glass window top is around $490 shipped, and you can either pay someone to do it ($400 seems to be about what you're going to pay) or block off two days to do it yourself. I just did mine over Thanksgiving weekend, and other than a rivet gun ($3.99 at Harbor Freight) and contact cement you won't need any special tools or skills - just plenty of time. Don't rush, and take some time to vacuum out under the seats and clean off the rear trim pieces while the top is off. The most frustrating part is drilling out the old rivets (just takes time), followed closely by reinstalling the top retainers along the bottom edge of the rear of the top (my wife did that part for me!)

If you want to spend a few extra bucks, get the top with defroster and add the relay/wiring. I checked the VIN of my car and it wasn't supposed to have wiring for the defroster so I didn't bother to pay extra to get the defroster top... but once I got the old top off I saw a harness right where the defroster wiring is supposed to be, so maybe it did after all? 99% of the time my car is garaged so it doesn't really get that frosty, so no biggie. For what it costs to put in a new window, I would NEVER consider doing just the window as opposed to a whole new top - the glass is SOOOO much better than any plastic window. Plus the top folds better and I don't have to get out and "chop" the plastic when I get the top halfway down in order to make sure it folds in the middle any more!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i used high strength epoxy to fix a crack in my window... it may not look classy, but it got the job done... no leaks, and the top goes down very well without tearing the epoxied crack. it dried in 5-8 hours and is nearly invisible from 6 feet
Old 12-04-2006, 02:57 PM

upon closer inspection of my rear plastic window. it seems like it has been replaced before. but not with an oem plastic window..

the previous owner simply got a piece of plastic (similar to the oem) and glued it to the top.

I'm probably just going to be doing this also, because with out close inspection, I didn't even notice the plastice piece wasn't oem

there wasn't any leaks or anything... I now only have to find a place that sells plastic sheets of the same material. and of course some type glue that would be able to securely bond the plastic to the top.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

You can change just the plastic window, but I wouldn't call it a simple bolt on.

You need to gut the entire interior to access the rain rail nuts.

From there, there is a neoprene seal over the zipper that needs to be rolled off with your fingers.

There are 11 rivits going through the rain rail, and the lower portion of the plastic window.

There are brass rivits on the side.

The zipper itself has a timing mark, to be sure the window is centered.

I spent a few nights doing the last one.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM

i'm just trying to do a temporary fix for now. do you guys know where i can get sheets of the plastic material used in our tops?

i went to home depot.. the closest material i could find was plexiglass..

im afraid it might not be fit for the job though...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 PM

where can i buy the plastic window?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:24 PM

well if your looking for oem.. it going to be pricey.. 200-250 i believe. you can find it at your local honda dealership.

i'm just looking for a piece of plastic of similar material to fit over. if somebody could help me find that. that would be GREAT! i tire home depot and that.. closest thing i could find was plexi glass. if it wasn't breakable upon bending.. it would be the perfect solution for me.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try Lowe's or Home Depot first. If not , Boating accessories stores, craft shops trim shops, reupholstery business's ect. I'm not sure where but believe you'll find some with a little looking.
Look around a little on-line and maybe you can order what you want.

OK forget Home Depot. You might find something in suitable plastic in clear car seat covers. Wal Mart Pep Boys etc.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 PM

Yeah, I'm going around tomorrow to try to find something...

I'm thinking some type of a shower curtain.. (a really thick one).

what kind of adhesive do you think would be best for the job?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silicone. adhesive. I've seen some labled for windshield use and not sure what the difference is. If you can't find it I think any silicone will do.

Edit- The sun may not be too kind to just any vinyl so you might want to add a tint after the install.

Quick Reply: 00' Soft top plastic window cracked