S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

'00 AP1: Crank, no start

Old 10-06-2020, 06:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default '00 AP1: Crank, no start

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. The car is an AP1. The engine was running, spun a bearing, rebuilt by InlinePro, and was recently reinstalled in the car. I replaced both cam position sensors with new units (old ones got broken during shipping). The car cranks, but will not start:

Here is what I have checked so far:
  • The car starts only with the crank position sensor disconnected (both old and new sensor)
  • Battery tested good at two different stores
  • Negative post on the battery has continuity to the chassis and the block/cylinder head
  • G101 is in place on the back of the cylinder head
  • Observed spark on all four cylinders
  • Plugs are wet with fuel when removed from the head
  • Pic of timing shown below

The white mark on the crankshaft was right at the mark on the timing cover in this photo.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mt.nichols; 10-07-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start with the CKP (Crankshaft position sensor). You said it only starts up when it's unplugged. Have you tried plugging it in after you get it started?
Hopefully, the shop didn't forget to install the CKP pulse plate. You'll have to pull the timing cover off to get to it.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by NinjaProof
I'd start with the CKP (Crankshaft position sensor). You said it only starts up when it's unplugged. Have you tried plugging it in after you get it started?
Hopefully, the shop didn't forget to install the CKP pulse plate. You'll have to pull the timing cover off to get to it.
It kinda sorta runs. I haven't tried plugging it in while the car is (barely) running, but I will try that today if I can get it to start.

I second guessed whether I had bought the correct camshaft position sensors - I just looked online and see that one difference between the AP1 and AP2 is that the AP1 has a metallic bottom that faces the camshaft - mine do. So I think I am good there, just trying to cross things off the list.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:26 PM

I tried to start the car then plug in the CKP, but it won't stay running long enough. It sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders, only stays live with the throttle pinned. The runner on cylinder number one is stone cold. 2 is hot, 3 somewhat warm, 4 is pretty warm.

I'm reeaaally hesitant to pull the cam caps off to fiddle with the timing since the valve lash and timing were supposedly just set.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:34 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

r u sure u have compression?
Old 10-09-2020, 03:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

Double check your cam sensors, they will not let the engine start if the signal is not there. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2020, 03:43 PM

Does anyone know if I should be concerned that the middle gear doesn't appear to be lined up with the surface of the head? If I line it up based on the crankshaft notch, I have this:

but if I go based on the middle gear, I have this:

I'm stumped.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
r u sure u have compression?
The engine was just rebuilt by InlinePro, so I would hope so..
Originally Posted by Hfreak
Double check your cam sensors, they will not let the engine start if the signal is not there. Good luck!
I wonder if the squished plug is actually causing issues. Both cam sensors are new
Old 10-09-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Cam timing is right on.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Cam timing is right on.
Thank you for verifying. I felt like it was, too.. but this is my first time messing with an s2k and I wanted to be certain.

I had some help over the weekend and checked some of the basics again. It seems a couple of the coil packs may have been bad; we had a spark jumping about half way up the boot on a couple of them. In either case, I think it's a good idea to replace the packs so I ordered a new set of Densos and a new set of plugs. I currently have the spark plugs pulled out and am letting the car air out as it was pretty badly flooded. Hopefully this does the trick.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (10-12-2020)

Quick Reply: '00 AP1: Crank, no start