S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

0-50w oil

Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by odortiz,Jan 22 2006, 10:49 PM
i don't believe everything i read in owners manuals. manufacturers will tell you anything because most customers believe the company is looking out for them. f1 engineers are a little more concerned with reliability than fuel economy. thicker oil wil provibe better protection at high loads at the expense of economy and power.
if it wansn't too expensive, i would give it a shot.
it flows better when cold, and provides better protection when hot than 5w40
Wrong. You need to read up on oil viscosities and understand the principles involved before you blindly give recommendations. If you give someone bad advice (and yours was) and they suffer a loss ... you could be held liable.

A 50W at hotter temps will NOT protect better than a 40W in an S2000. In fact, you may cause oil starvation at higher RPMs due to the fact the thicker oil would likely not circulate properly in an S2000 engine.
Viscosity considerations are made based on the internal clearances, oil pump capability, and many other design criteria I don't have time to cover in this post. Higher viscosity does not mean greater protection. Viscosities are chosen along with other design and engineering considerations when designing an engine.
A 50W oil is appropriate in a racing engine producing several hundred to over a thousand foot-pounds of torque. Last time I checked, torque was not the S2000s strong point. Look at my post above and go to the link ... it may help you understand this better.

As I tell people all the time on this site: Use what you want, but only recommend what won't get you sued.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odortiz,Jan 22 2006, 10:49 PM
i don't believe everything i read in owners manuals. manufacturers will tell you anything because most customers believe the company is looking out for them. f1 engineers are a little more concerned with reliability than fuel economy. thicker oil wil provibe better protection at high loads at the expense of economy and power.
if it wansn't too expensive, i would give it a shot.
it flows better when cold, and provides better protection when hot than 5w40
you are so incredibly off base, i can't even fathom why i'd leave this thread open.

people need to keep in mind. YOUR CAR IS NOT A FORMULA 1 RACING ENGINE!!! Hell, not to mention the fact that after every F1 race, the engine has to be torn down and rebuilt. So I guess if you use the same oil they use, that means you should tear down and rebuild your engine every day, right? Sweet Jesus people!

An engine's appropriate engine viscosity is actually determined around the time the design is engineered. Believe it or not, engines are built to work specifically with a certain viscosity. They do this because it will provide the best oil flow FOR THAT ENGINE!! What's good for one is not necessarily what's good for the other.

When honda creates a user's manual, they don't sit here and go "gee let's tell them the wrong size oil, so that way it will damage their engine".

0w50 is too heavy of an oil for our engines. If you use it, then you use it at your own risk.