S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

!@#$ Over-rev

Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default !@#$ Over-rev

Long story short, today I was on the highway doing about 69-72 in my ap1 N/A s2000. I accidentally downshifted to second. From what I hear, second gear lasts until either 62 or 65mph.

I used that gear calculator located here :http://www.turnzero.com/technical_re...ear_calculator, to find out that I probably revved to somewhere near 9500RPM.

My only mods that would affect this speed is aftermarket 245/40/18 rear tires.
My speedometer at the time read about 70mph, and is usually 2-3mph slower than the gps calculated speed.

Basically what happened is i was mid shift with my engine at about 4-4.5krpm i let the clutch about halfway to 3/4 way out (engaging point, but not fully engaged) and the rpms shot up to at least 9k. I quickly put the clutch back in, but im not sure exactly how high it went up.

So, with the above circumstances, is my car safe to drive on for now, or forever? It drove fine afterward, and the only sound i heard was a click which sounded like the diff clicking from the drastic engine braking.

I finally have the chance to go to a drag strip this saturday (my only chance), and i want to know if its safe for teh 45min drive and a run, or not.

Is my car ok or will i need new retainers asap? I was going to check the tops of the retainers today, but i really dont like the idea of pulling the cams myself.

Somebody please help asap !!!

I'll try to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

PS. my oil was fully warmed up and the car was well at operating temperature.
I'm due for an oil change an am currently running mobil 1 10w30 (dont like).

And PSS. I was not accelerating at the time of the over rev, i was slightly decelerating and then misshifted the downshift.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Ur motor is fine! make sure it idles good, and adjust ur valves down the road and check the retainers.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by s2k dre,Aug 19 2009, 11:41 PM
Ur motor is fine! make sure it idles good, and adjust ur valves down the road and check the retainers.
Thanks soooo much for the good news!!! I've been waiting to go to the track FOREVER.

If its going to be alright, I'll drive on it lightly for now then progressively open it up more until saturday

I definately will at least pull the cams and check the retainers within the next couple weeks though.... maybe even the head ;but that means all new gaskets $$$
Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be good
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by DBXFX,Aug 19 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks soooo much for the good news!!! I've been waiting to go to the track FOREVER.

If its going to be alright, I'll drive on it lightly for now then progressively open it up more until saturday

I definately will at least pull the cams and check the retainers within the next couple weeks though.... maybe even the head ;but that means all new gaskets $$$
If it doesnt missfire then u will be ok, but hairline cracks in retainers will have no symptoms untill u drop a valve! So check them soon.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by s2k dre,Aug 19 2009, 11:51 PM
If it doesnt missfire then u will be ok, but hairline cracks in retainers will have no symptoms untill u drop a valve! So check them soon.
Safe to vtec until i check them?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check your retainers! Get an adjustable mirror (like a dental mirror) and a flashlight and look at the underside of the retainers. Also check to see how much of the valve stem is above the top of the retainer.

Here is the problem....if the car has been mechanically over revved (like from a missed gear) the retainer can crack. The retainer will slowly walk up the valve stem and cause teh cotters to unseat. They will put a wear mark in the valve and eventually cause it to break. If this happens, the valve will drop into the cylinder chamber and destroy the engine.

If the retainer is cracked, it could last up to 10k miles OR it could happen right away. Its something you need to investigate! Not doing so could cost thousands of dollars.

Generally speaking its the intake side that gets damaged from an over rev.

Best case scenario is that nothing is wrong and it just takes up an hour of your time....worse case scenario is that you do nothing about it and write the motor off as a total loss.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rob.ok pretty much sums it up.

Rather than worry about it, or listen to well-intentioned but incorrect advise, check your retainers and then KNOW if your engine is OK or not.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odds are very good that you are fine. But ... Rob and CoralDoc are correct. Better to inspect them. (If you don't think you are able to do so, find a mechanic who is. But make sure the mechanic knows exactly what he's supposed to be looking for. There are some excellent threads on this subject on this board, including some with good pictures.)
Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I understand you should be able to see if the keepers are recessed w/o pulling the cams. Here are a couple good threads:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=442653&st=50
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=569714

"Best rule of thumb: you should not be able to see even the slightest
bit of the inner retainer wall."

Quick Reply: !@#$ Over-rev