S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

*sigh* Engine Replacement needed?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *sigh* Engine Replacement needed?

So, last week I was running it pretty hard on a mountain run and misshifted into 2nd going pretty fast (meant to go into 4th). Overreved, of course. Heard some knocking so I took it into Pacific Honda in Clairemont Mesa in San Diego.

They just called me back today, after a tear down on the engine. Told me the number 4 piston damaged the cylinder and they're talking about replacing the short block and head to get it up and running.

They quoted me a ballpark price of $5600 to get it up and running again. I'm not too sure on the details yet, I had to talk to my parents about the money. My dad is going in to Honda in a bit to check it out and get an estimate, he knows more about repairing engines than I do and should be able to tell if an engine replacement is needed. I'm at work so I can't make it in.

My question is, would it be worth it for me to get it entirely replaced by Honda or just see if they can repair it? I'm sure they will be bringing in a brand new engine, which is why the cost will be so high.

I was thinking about buying a used motor online (Hmotors) and having a buddy I know and trust swap it in for me. The problem is, the engines come with the tranny and ECU for $4000. I'm sure it'll be cheaper still but I don't know if I want to leave it out of service longer than I need to, being that it is my daily.

So, if anyone has had experience with this before, any and all information is greatly appreciated. I'm already in debt and I will need a second job now to pay this off as soon as possible. Hell, I may have to sell the car and buy something cheap, if it comes down to it.

Thanks in advance. Speedy replies are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

The choice between having the old engine rebuilt vs getting a used engine is a tough one. IF (and only if) the people doing the rebuild are both competent, and familiar with the F20C (and being a Honda dealer does nothing to insure this) then a rebuild eleminates the posibility of getting a used engine that has been abused, but if the mechanic doing the rebuild is an unknown quantity then I'd seriously consider a used engine. Just be sure to get a warrenty, and be sure to check the used engine out fully before installing it in the car.

Either way, this is going to be expensive.

It's always a downer when this happens, but FWIW, you are not the first (and won't be the last).

BTW, how did you total the Prelude?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Got cut off on the freeway, on an on ramp, panicked, locked up the brakes and spun into the wall. It was a pretty bad turn that I am usually really comfortable with but when someone jumps into your lane in front of you, you react without the thinking.

I've had the worst luck with cars this year. I'm seriously considering getting a bus pass. LOL
Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

sometimes things happen in threes...go figure. i would go with the honda dealer, and make certain there is a warranty involved. with a used engine you take the luck of the draw and have alot of work and downtime, especially if thing go wrong after the install....to save 1600 it is not worth it to me...then again it is your money.

the warranty is important to me also and the dealer offers one...i would hope, even if only 12,000 miles and or a year. i would also expect this to cost more than quoted for the rebuild and more for the friend install of the used engine, how much? you can tell us after it is done.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into an InlinePro 2.5 stroker. IIRC, it's $4000 for a shortblock.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=619Nick06,Jul 16 2007, 04:48 PM]Got cut off on the freeway, on an on ramp, panicked, locked up the brakes and spun into the wall.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Well let's hope this is number three then. I can't afford anything else for a long time...

1) Repairs on my prelude
2) Totaled the lude
3) S2000 mishap.

I am seriously gonna drive like a grandma the rest of the time I have this car... Haha.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 619Nick06,Jul 16 2007, 02:15 PM
Well let's hope this is number three then. I can't afford anything else for a long time...

1) Repairs on my prelude
2) Totaled the lude
3) S2000 mishap.

I am seriously gonna drive like a grandma the rest of the time I have this car... Haha.
I said the same thing when my S went in for engine repair, drove it like a granny for 2 weeks when I got it back but just couldnt resist the urge to vtec. goodluck with the repairs
Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=J_inDA_s2k,Jul 16 2007, 04:00 PM]
Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally, i've never had a good experience with taking my car to honda for service or anything for that matter. i haven't let anyone work on a car i've owned now for the last 8 years. i'd take the car to someone you trust and who knows what they are doing.

Quick Reply: *sigh* Engine Replacement needed?