S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

****UPDATE NEW PICSbroken waterpump pulley? **pics

Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No,no...I all the work on my car myself...I've just never dealt with any of the accessorieson the car.

All I need is some good instructions and I'll get it done properly. I don't trust any mecanics, not even for oil changes...I do everything myself.

So can someone provide a good DIY for the0 replacement of the waterpump pulley? Is there a link somewhere?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:33 PM

WOW. so this lends alot of credit to it being the way the bolt heads distribute torque. Which is then exacerbated by the KW drives extra force applied.
Nice. Talk about a finicky design.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM

My car is 100% stock. I don't even have an intake. I don't see how the KW kit is relevant to my situation??
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by mtls2k,Aug 5 2009, 07:46 PM
My car is 100% stock. I don't even have an intake. I don't see how the KW kit is relevant to my situation??
Dude, this situation precedes you by a LONG time. We had the first pulley failures almost a year ago, and the KW kit was instrumental in each one. The bolts were said to be partial to the issue, and no studies have been done yet. Well, now you come along at the perfect time, and prove most of what was speculated to be true.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM

I honestly can't see why the need for the stackup of washers, were the bolts you were using too long? Did at one time the bolts get over torqued and break off in the water pump box thread, causing the need to re-tap, with a UN home depot thread and flat washer set?

By using washers like that you spread the load un-evenly on the surface, perhapse causing enough wobble with the harmonics of the tensioner the amplify what is normally acceptable.

Give some feed back as to why your not using the OEM bolts?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtls2k,Aug 5 2009, 07:14 PM
No,no...I all the work on my car myself...I've just never dealt with any of the accessorieson the car.

All I need is some good instructions and I'll get it done properly. I don't trust any mecanics, not even for oil changes...I do everything myself.

So can someone provide a good DIY for the0 replacement of the waterpump pulley? Is there a link somewhere?
if you don't trust anyone with your car then why should you trust me? if you need to do the physical work yourself but don't know how then...um..nevermind

like i said if you want to do it yourself then you first need to take off the accessory belt, it take about five second flat if you know what you doing.

could the tension is released, take off the two good remaining bolt and see what's wrong with the third one. you might be able to get it off with a vise grip, you might need to get it off with extractor, you might need to take the whole water pump out to retap it. we don't know until you can show use a picture.

the water pump pulley replacement is just that three frontal bolts

you don't need a link, is all right there man.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Slambo,Aug 6 2009, 12:23 AM
I honestly can't see why the need for the stackup of washers, were the bolts you were using too long? Did at one time the bolts get over torqued and break off in the water pump box thread, causing the need to re-tap, with a UN home depot thread and flat washer set?

By using washers like that you spread the load un-evenly on the surface, perhapse causing enough wobble with the harmonics of the tensioner the amplify what is normally acceptable.

Give some feed back as to why your not using the OEM bolts?

I have no idea why he OEM bolts r not used, I bought t he car this way
Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 AM

anybody have a pic of what it looks like when the WP pulley is removed? I'd like to see what the assembly looks like behind the pulley.

1 one of the bolts on the pulley is broken. The head of the bolt is broken right off, so I want to see what the stem of the bolt is screwed into, in order to figure out how to remove it. I want to prepare myself.

Any pics?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 AM

It's pretty easy to take off and put a new one on, even a noob like myself could do it. just use something to jam the pulley so it won't move then unbolt, and take the belt off before that. i just did it 2 days ago.

Quick Reply: ****UPDATE NEW PICSbroken waterpump pulley? **pics