S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Your thoughts on an ebay item

Old 10-10-2008 | 02:39 PM

Default Your thoughts on an ebay item

I really like the look of the 04 rear spoiler and instead of paying between 500-600 dollars to buy OEM, I've found a few on ebay and figured I could just get them painted.

I figured I could send a best offer for $100 or so for this one, the only thing that struck me as a bit odd was that it has a "no drill application" for installation, it talks about an adhesive on the bottom of the two posts.. My concern is that the adhesive wouldn't be enough and I would assume that bolts through the trunk lid would be much more secure. However, not having to drill holes in my trunk would be nice. What do you guys think? Thanks for the input.

Here's a link!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRIMER-00-0...d=p4506.c0.m245
Old 10-10-2008 | 02:53 PM

I don't know if i would want to tape a spoiler onto my car.. If it came off going down the highway and hurt some one you could be liable.

maybe its good tape ?
Old 10-10-2008 | 03:28 PM

Agree with hariku821. Check out the disclaimer at the bottom of their webpage:

"Adhesive silicones and/or adhesion promoters are often used in conjunction with provided 3M tape for long lasting durability. For best results installation should be conducted in temperatures above 72. Refer to tape manufacturers recommendations for full details. Do Not clean, wash, wax or drive for 12 hours after installation. Shopitall is not responsible for no drill attachment durability. "

If they are putting a disclaimer, it makes me wonder why... and, if Honda bolts it on, chances are good that their lawyers and engineers figured that was the best way. For sure there will be some lift on this wing generated at speed, cuz air will be passing under as well as over. I'd be less worried about the original OEM version of the rear spoiler being taped on, but still - one lawsuit if the thing flies off and goes through someone's windshield can really ruin your day.
Old 10-10-2008 | 04:23 PM

Drill it or don't install. Even if it doesn't hit anything, you'll be pissed to park the car and find it just gone...and some stupid gooey residue left behind.
Old 10-10-2008 | 05:23 PM

I agree with the others, bolt it on, it's a wing.

Now to be a hypocrite.

I have a OEM spoiler (not wing... spoiler) and I used 3M double sided tape to mount it, I have never had a problem over the 4 years I have had it on. I can see how someone can be skeptical, but if you make sure you prep the surface correctly and use strong enough tape you will be fine. The tape I used has tensile strength of 160 lb/in^2, pretty damn strong. Note, I would not do this with any spoiler that was not a flush mount.
Old 10-10-2008 | 05:33 PM

Looks better than the new ones.
Old 10-10-2008 | 05:38 PM

Agreed. Bolt it for sure.
I just put the same OEM spoiler on my S this past weekend. It was cake.

At first I tried just the tape, seemed way too risky.

As for this ebay spoiler
Old 10-10-2008 | 06:13 PM

Thanks everyone, definitely gonna bolt it on, whenever I get one.
Old 10-11-2008 | 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by BallSackJack,Oct 10 2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone, definitely gonna bolt it on, whenever I get one.
This isn't much cheaper than an OEM spoiler, it'll be almost $200 shipped to you and you will have to spend an additional $200 to get it painted. At that cost, you may as well order an OEM one from H and A honda....and these come painted with all installation hardware including upgraded trunk springs.
Old 10-11-2008 | 09:09 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

I bought mine through eBay, but mine had bolts. It's not to OEM level of refinement, but it serves the same purpose. If I had it to do over again, I would have got the OEM version.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on an ebay item