S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is your S2K a primary vehicle?

Old 03-06-2002 | 12:48 PM

Default Is your S2K a primary vehicle?

You guys probably get these a lot, but here goes...

I'm looking between the following: S2000, Audi TT Roadster, BMW 330ic and the Nissan 350Z, in that order.

I'm leaning towards the S2000 primarily for the 240HP, it's a roadster, rare, and about 10k cheaper than the Audi and the BMW (which have only 225HP). There are currently no dealers around that have one in stock, so that's why I'm asking the dumb questions because I haven't had the luxury of a test drive yet, thought I've drooled over a few in some parking lots.

1. Driving down the highway going 70, top down...
a. Can you hear the Radio, clearly? CD? My folks had a jeep, couldn't hear squat
b. I'm 6'0", does your hair get messed up? Is there a lot of wind within the car? I saw a divider for sale with the car, wondering if that made a considerable difference
c. Is there a good heater in there? If it's 50 degrees outside, can you stay warm with a jacket?

2. Does anyone only drive their S2000 and not have a winter vehicle? It hardly snows around here, but it does maybe 10 inches in the winter. This will be my primary and only car. I drive about 0.5 miles to work and back

3. Are there any special matinence considerations, like only synthetic oil? I read about the VTEC after 600mi, no big deal. I'd be styling around for the first 600 miles anyway to show it off.

4. Can cup holders handle 20oz bottles (soda)? What about big gulps (32 oz)? Does it get in the way of the shifter?

5. Is there any way you can fit a golf bag in there? From looking at the owners (wouldn't let me drive it), it looked like the trunk wouldn't allow it. I'm guessing it's passenger seat time.

6. Any trouble fixing a flat?

7. Convinent place to put a radar detector? (self explanitory)

8. Best time to buy one? Of course it seems now would be the worst with summer approaching. With the consideration of the 350Z, I may hold off until Fall, and maybe get one well under MSRP. I love the fact that these hardly depriciate in value. Seems like a an all out purchase would be better than a lease (plus a fun drive to florida with the top down).

9. Adjustable Steering column?

10. What about a car alarm? If someone would shake the car, would the alarm go off?

11. Can you drive with your knees easily? There are times you're holding some grub and you need to shift, and you know the rest, I've acquired that skill from my first vehicle

These may seem like stupid questions, but ones people probably don't think about on a serious basis....

Anything else you want to add, feel free

I'm about 80% sure about getting one, the 350Z has a 255HP engine, but I like the looks and the style of the S2000 over that kind of performance.

I'm drooling about it now. There's a guy who wants to sell me a '02 that's blue, but I'm holding off for a black with red interior... which will probably be a special order because I haven't seen too many on ebay or autotrader with that style.
Old 03-06-2002 | 12:56 PM

Mine is my daily driver & I have no complaints. Being 6'0 I would at least sit in one as there is no tilt/telescoping to the steering wheel. Your hair will get messed up on the HWY top down but isn't that half the fun? With regard to snow driving all I have is based on other posters & I would say NEVER, EVER drive an S2K in the snow! Wait until January & get a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII. 250 + hp, awd in a civic sized sedan. Fast, functional, & great in inclement weather. My .02.
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:03 PM

I'll try my best to answer your questions...

1A. First modification, upgrade your stock speakers
1b. I'm a tad bit shorter, and the wind never bothers me. The hair does blow a little, but its something that doesn't bother me.
1c. Best heater in all the hondas i've ever owned.
2. I live in california, so i'll let you ponder that one
3. No special maintanince, but i do you use synthetics every 3k miles.
4. Yes, it does get in the way of the shifter. Canned sodas fit best in it.
5. Never tried, I don't play golf.
6. Never had the opportunity to do it (knock on wood)
7. On the dash?
8. Check MSRP dealership listings. Didn't somebody get a 02 sebring silver for under 30k????
9. Nope
10. Never tried that, but i should.
11. Try driving stick with a cell phone, cig and a drink in your hand!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:13 PM

I'll answer the ones I know, skip the ones I don't.
1.a. get the rear speaker mod and no problem.
b. Yes, wear a cap. Also search my user name and "cabin turbulence". I did some experiments.
c. I drive to work this morning and it was -28*C. Once the cabin warmed up, I had the fan down to the second notch. This is one great heater.

2. I drive mine all year round but I have snow tires. If you don't have much snow and you live that close to work, don't get snow tires and walk to work. Don't drive your car with stock tires in anything slippery.

3. No synthetic till the thing is good and broken in (near 8000 miles), then synthetic from that point on.

5. Some have reported they can get 2 golf bags in there. Just don't put the CD changer back there.
The rest has been answered already.
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:27 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE]
8. Best time to buy one? Of course it seems now would be the worst with summer approaching. With the consideration of the 350Z, I may hold off until Fall, and maybe get one well under MSRP. I love the fact that these hardly depriciate in value. Seems like a an all out purchase would be better than a lease (plus a fun drive to florida with the top down).
Old 03-06-2002 | 02:15 PM

1a. Yes, but a upgrade to the audio system will help greatly
1b. I'm 5'11" and yes this is half the fun.
1c. Yes, 50 with the topdown and only a dress shirt is fine.

2.Yes, But I live in TX.

3. Synthetic oil? There are other posts on this subject, but I have heard not to do it until around 10-40k
VTEC after 600mi? Over 5500 RPM is bad (per Honda) until 600 mi.

4. 20oz bottles (soda)? Yes. Big gulps (32 oz)? Some will and some will not. Does it get in the way of the shifter? Yes, but it is live-able. Just don't "Drag-Race" with one

5. Unknown, I don't play.

6. Call the Road club.

8. When you want one. I have seen the price dip and peek, but you have to be the judge on the timing.

9. Adjustable Steering column? No. I wish.

10. You have to Add one, they are not stock. The only thing security that is stock, is the Fuel Pump is tied to the Keys, (immoblizer).

11. Yes, you can eat, drink talk and drive. If you can do it now, you can do it then.
Old 03-06-2002 | 03:05 PM

Chiming in on a few:

1)a)Speaker upgrade as mentioned-I've yet to do mine but still listened to top down music. It was OK, but could be better.

b)I'm 6' also, slight build (175). Fit is fine but I always wear a baseball cap with top down, especially daytime. Sunglasses will not keep overhead sun from your eyes (goggles excepted).
Hair will blow around. It's a roadster.

c)Heater rocks top up or down.

2)This is my only vehicle and I've been lucky so far with little snow here in Mass my first winter. I did put snow tires on it and don't have a long commute.

3)Just passes 6000 miles, first change at 3750, next at 6,750

4)No. I also have the ashtray in my copholder (don't shoot me non-smokers).

5)Haven't tried

6)Ditto

7)Ditto

8)Winter

9)No adjustable steering column

10)Aftermarket alarm sensitivity is set to desired level.

11)Don't recommend knee driving any vehicle, but I have driven while smoking, talking on cell, and having coffee, although I think only simultaneously once (too much work).

This car has it's downsides, but all in all I love it, and that's being said without a top down drive for months.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-06-2002 | 03:43 PM

Originally posted by thunderchicken

You guys probably get these a lot, but here goes...

I'm looking between the following: S2000, Audi TT Roadster, BMW 330ic and the Nissan 350Z, in that order.

I'm leaning towards the S2000 primarily for the 240HP, it's a roadster, rare, and about 10k cheaper than the Audi and the BMW (which have only 225HP). There are currently no dealers around that have one in stock, so that's why I'm as
king the dumb questions because I haven't had the luxury of a test drive
yet, thought I've drooled over a few in some parking lots.

a. Can you hear the Radio, clearly? CD? My folks had a jeep, couldn't hear squat

No, I didn't expect to be able to hear the radio/cd with the top down.

b. I'm 6'0", does your hair get messed up? Is there a lot of wind within the car? I saw a divider for sale with the car, wondering if that made a considerable difference

I'm 6'3" and YES my hair gets messed up. That's why I bought a convertible.

c. Is there a good heater in there? If it's 50 degrees outside, can you stay warm with a jacket?

The heater is excellent and at 50 you won't need it. It's top down weather, now (In Indy).

2. Does anyone only drive their S2000 and not have a winter vehicle? It hardly snows around here, but it does maybe 10 inches in the winter. This will be my primary and only car. I drive about 0.5 miles to work and back

I drive mine every day to downtown Indy from Whiteland (10 mile commute each way) and this is my transportation, or I walk. I think that it drives quite nicely in the snow.

3. Are there any special matinence considerations, like only synthetic oil? I read about the VTEC after 600mi, no big deal. I'd be styling around for the first 600 miles anyway to show it off.

You can use synthetic oil, if you choose. Honda recommends regular 10W30 oil.

4. Can cup holders handle 20oz bottles (soda)? What about big gulps (32 oz)? Does it get in the way of the shifter?

I don't drink while I'm driving. I have my hands full driving this car.

5. Is there any way you can fit a golf bag in there? From looking at the owners (wouldn't let me drive it), it looked like the trunk wouldn't allow it. I'm guessing it's passenger seat time.

I would say that depends on how big your bag is. My 10 1/2" bag WILL NOT fit, but I bet my carry bag will.

Who gets flat tires?

No worse than any other car.

The best time to buy one is right now, in the middle of the winter. DO NOT pay more than MSRP. Look around this site for MSRP dealers. A lot of people are paying less than MSRP right now for new 2002's. I was wanting to look at the new 350Z and the RX8, but don't I'm glad that I didn't wait.

No.

10. What about a car alarm? If someone would shake the car, would the alarm go off?

Alarms are not included.

11. Can you drive with your knees easily? There are times you're holding some grub and you need to shift, and you know the rest, I've acquired that skill from my first vehicle

I would think that you have a death wish wanting to do that with this car.

Based on your questions, I don't think that you would be happy with this car. It is only a PURE sports car with NOTHING extra. And it's just about the best pure sports car around. Certainly for the money. If you don't want to put up with the spartan nature of this car, you might be happier with the Z or the RX8.

Good luck with your decision,
Bob
Old 03-06-2002 | 05:17 PM

I like your questions about the stereo, wind turbulence and suitability as a daily driver and would myself like to hear more on these topics from S2000 owners.

0.5 miles is not much of a commute. You're in the enviable position of being able to pick your car for less practical reasons like looks, performance, etc... For comparison, I'm 6' 4" and drive 25 miles to work. I want an S2000 but I have to admit that it's not exactly right for someone in my situation.

What's great about this forum is that you can learn from the experience of others. If I decide to take the plunge, I'll be doing it with eyes wide open. I won't be able to say that no one warned me of the S2000's limitations. Likewise, if I don't buy one, it will be partly because of what I've learned from hanging out here (and partly from my own gut feeling).

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Old 03-06-2002 | 05:34 PM
Former Moderator

a. I can hear the radio just fine! I upgraded the speakers to Infinity Kappa components plus rear Kenwood speakers and an Alpine amp with Alpine head unit! It is very sweet now!

b. I'm 5'10" and let's just say I can drive to lunch with the top down and have no messy hair when I return. And yes, sometimes I do 70 mph on the way to lunch! Very little wind, IMO, compared to other convertibles.

c. The heater in the S2000 can be used to heat a small village! It's great! 50 degrees!?!?! Hell, most of us drive with the top down when it's 40 degrees!

No snow around here and when there is, there's no reason to drive because everything (and I do mean everything) closes!

Some folks use synthetic oil, it's personal preference, I guess. Yeah, that 600 mile thing is pretty much set in stone! But where in the HELL is the stone!

Anything in the cupholder can get in the way of the shifter. I feel it accomadate most drink containers. The bigger they are, the shorter you'll want to drive!

The trunk is quite generous given the size of the car. A golf bag will fit.

Well under MSRP. . .yeah!

No, adjust yourself instead. . .

An alarm via Honda is optional.

Good luck in getting the S2000. . .truly an impressive automobile!

Quick Reply: Is your S2K a primary vehicle?