S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

You scared me :P

Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With it getting colder around here i dont know if their will be another track day till spring
Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hariku821 are you coming from the FWD world or the RWD world?

If you are coming from the FWD car then all RWD cars will feel like they have oversteer easily cause you are using the rear wheels for more than just placeholders like you do in the FWD world.

If you are coming from the RWD world then ignore all you've heard about oversteer. It's natural and normal. Just use the alignment to set it up tight or loose, whichever is your normal preference.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Steady throttle and smooth movements of the controls your can tackle most anything is the S. Just know your limits and BE CAREFUL... This car is very tailhappy!
-Vito
Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 PM

I have an 01 which is supposedly the most tailhappy year along with the 00. Ive taken some pretty hard turns and have never had the rear come out. Just dont let go of the throttle mid-turn.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 PM

yup, don't lift in mid-turn if you are at limit. slow down and gently accelerate through curve.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 PM

I've heard about the tailing out issue once and have pushed my car decently around turns and my rear tires are nearing total baldness (yes i'm lazy and I drive in traffic most of the time anyways) but I have never had any grip/spinning out issues. Just don't brake while turning or go into a turn too fast. Just start off slow and gently ease up to the point where you won't feel comfortable going any faster. Oh and I recommend pushing the limits on a track, not the local street or highway!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 AM
mlc

You might want to try the UK alignment since you have an AP1. It plants the rear of the car a little more. Also check your tire pressures. This car is kind of sensitive to the wrong tire pressures.

But like has been said you are coming from a FWD car to a RWD one. That just takes some geting used to.

Do a search on UK alignment to find the specs.

mlc
Old 09-30-2008, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sudden weight shift, rear to front while turning AT or NEAR the limits is the problem. This happens when you enter a turn too fast and hit the breaks while turning. Again, this is only a problem at or near the edge of the performance envelope, OR IN THE RAIN!!

Rather than a track day, I'd recommend autocross. Cheaper, and quicker. You will learn your cars limits, and how it responds at lower speeds, with better runoff areas. Essentially, you just hit some traffic cones if you screw up. If there is no autocrosses running in your area, find a BIG empty parking lot and start circling. Increase your speed until the back end starts to slide. Countersteer to stop, and then try again. Then try making quicker/'jerkier' transitions to see what happens in an 'emergency' situation. Experiment until you feel comfortable with your car and what it's trying to tell you at the limits..
Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 AM

with this car its hard to tell when you're at the limit, and when it lets go on you, its a very sudden change. so, you need to be careful because if you do something stupid its hard to correct quickly. thats why everyone is warning you about it. but if you don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine. learning the limits of the car on a track is the BEST way to make sure you don't go past the limit of what the car can handle.

my simple rule for not ending up in a ditch... if you're at or near the limit, don't do anything other than what you've been doing. ie, don't shift, brake, hammer the gas, let off the gas, jerk the wheel, etc. just take your turn.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

"Don't lift. NEVER lift."

primary cause of S2000's in the ditch/curb/ or off-the-road:

1) Somewhat (mildly, even) enthusiastic application of throttle in a low-gear turn on cold tires and/or in low-grip conditions.
2) Back end starts to move out a bit.
3) Inexperienced driver abruptly lifts foot from gas pedal.
4) The fun begins!

Quick Reply: You scared me :P