S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Are you REALLY going that fast?

Old 05-26-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you REALLY going that fast?

There's this exit ramp that I often take in my S2K, and basically at 40mph, I really feel like I'm taking the ramp at a fast speed. It feels like if I went much faster than that, things would start getting hairy.

However, I was driving a friend's new G35 coupe on the same ramp, and just went at it at a speed that I felt comfortable with... looked down at the speedo, and it was right at 40mph. However, it felt a lot less "scary" in the G35. I felt like I could've easily pushed it up another few mph without much problem.

So I guess my question is, exactly how much of the S2K's potential is an average driver able to utilize? Even if our cars can technically handle better than another car, if we can only feel comfortable utilizing 6/10th of our cars potential while another car allows you to feel more comfortable at 8/10th, then in practical terms, both cars are basically on par in performance in the real world. Are our cars one of the hardest cars to drive to its full potential? (due to lack of stability control, snap oversteer, etc)
Old 05-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the limitation is within the driver, not the car.

if the car feels "scary" to you at 40mph and not scary in a G35 in the same turn, then it's simply lack of experience and skill. I've pushed my car very hard on some roads, and never felt "scary" in the corners. it's "scary" because you've never pushed your car like that, and the car also gives you much more feedback as to what the car is doing. the G35 is a dummy proof car, not made for driving at the limits. you probably wouldn't know your G35 was going to go past the limit until it was too late.

A G35 won't outcorner an S2000. The S2000 requires more skill, but this is also what lets it perform better. When you dummy proof a car, it's easier to drive it "comfortably" at its limit, but it's false security you're feeling. I would rather have a car giving me feedback and able to corner to my own limits, rather than dummy-proof no-feedback driving at the limits of a car that can't tell me I'm pushing it too far.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a nutshell
Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,May 26 2005, 08:26 PM

if the car feels "scary" to you at 40mph and not scary in a G35 in the same turn, then it's simply lack of experience and skill. I've pushed my car very hard on some roads, and never felt "scary" in the corners. it's "scary" because you've never pushed your car like that, and the car also gives you much more feedback as to what the car is doing. the G35 is a dummy proof car, not made for driving at the limits. you probably wouldn't know your G35 was going to go past the limit until it was too late.

A G35 won't outcorner an S2000. The S2000 requires more skill, but this is also what lets it perform better. When you dummy proof a car, it's easier to drive it "comfortably" at its limit, but it's false security you're feeling. I would rather have a car giving me feedback and able to corner to my own limits, rather than dummy-proof no-feedback driving at the limits of a car that can't tell me I'm pushing it too far.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:57 PM

During the recent Mohawk Trail meet we were tearing ass down these mountain roads and I found myself on the brake in some of the turns because I felt uncomfortable with the amount of speed in the corner. I noticed that the S2000 in front of me was not touching his brakes and was actually entering the turns faster than me. Obviously I had reached my personal cornering limit not the cars limit. The S2000 cornering abilities are godly.

I lost a lot of my cornering nerve after I rolled my '88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z entering a corner too fast and rolling it while running from the cops.

I definitely need some track time.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:06 PM

What Wisconsin said!

The problem with the S2000, for me at least, is that it tends to track on rails, right up to the point where it lets go. It will communicate when you're at the limit but if you're relatively inexperienced with a car of the S2000 capabilities (like me! ), then you might not pick up on it in time to make the appropriate corrections.

I've had mine try to loose the rear end twice. I was lucky, plain and simple, and I don't push the car that way any more.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:12 AM

I agree with what wisconsin said...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:53 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty,May 26 2005, 10:57 PM
During the recent Mohawk Trail meet we were tearing ass down these mountain roads and I found myself on the brake in some of the turns because I felt uncomfortable with the amount of speed in the corner. I noticed that the S2000 in front of me was not touching his brakes and was actually entering the turns faster than me. Obviously I had reached my personal cornering limit not the cars limit. The S2000 cornering abilities are godly.
Having driven that area last year with the NE crew I know what your saying. I kept thinking if I knew the road better I'd be feeling a lot more comfortable. Still had a great time though.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't explored the limits of the s2k yet either, and you're right, I feel more 'on the edge' at 60mph in a curve on my commute than I did in my old Civic at the same speed.
I've had a lot more practice in the Civic, though. I knew I could do 60-62 mph on that curve before it started to lose grip. With the S, I'm sure I could do way over 60, but if I slide out, I'm smacking a concrete barrier that's about 3 inches to my left as I round the curve, so I'm being very careful!
Old 05-27-2005, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,May 26 2005, 09:26 PM

My thoughts EXACTLY...

It just "feels" faster simply because there is so much more feedback, and I guess in a sense your senses get more information than theyre used to handling at a speed like that so automatically you get scared...

I would MUCH rather have a car that scares me when I'm going fast rather than I car that makes me feel "comfortable" at that same speed...

Quick Reply: Are you REALLY going that fast?