S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Yet another clear corner mod post

Old 12-06-2002, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another clear corner mod post

First of all thanks to Rick and Jeff at Rick's Signature Accessories. They met my unrulely demands and shipped my order asap.

I have to say I've been skeptical of the whole baking the headlight mod. Everytime I wanted to do it, I stopped myself with some reason. After seeing a car with Ricks clear diffusers installed I knew I had to have them. The clear diffusers make the headlights look more oem that just a modified housing. It makes the orange bulbs not as noticable and has a great stock/JDM look. I am courteous to other drivers and I didn't want to blind them with actual JDM housings.

I'm also here to say if you are on the fence about doing this, don't hesitate. The entire process took me 4 hours, including time to wait for the orange paint to dry on the directional bulbs. I did the swap by myself (no assistance). Follow Rick's instructions exactly and all you need is patience.

Baking the housings is not nearly as much drama as you would expect. BE PATIENT, keep the housings warm/hot (frequent baking may be required) I found myself often saying "where is the hassle?"

My tips. Bake housings on a damp towel like Rick suggests. But orient the housing so the lens is facing upwards. The sealant softening seems to work better in this arrangement. Bake for 7 minutes at 225F. Remove from oven and work the seal at the top of the housing (top of the housing meaning if it were mounted in the car facing you, side that is flush with the hood) Use a screwdriver to pry in and spread apart the two pieces. Once you have them spread apart a bit, bake it again for another 7 minutes. Start at the top again and pull it apart like a opening a book. I used my bare hands, the plastic is warm but not too bad.
To reassemble the housings use the black silicone sealant Rick recommends and don't be stingy with it, don't be messy either. Line up the two pieces of the housing make sure all the tabs line up and put it back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and then press the pieces together and make sure all the tabs lock. Allow to cool, you can wrap them in a towel and tie with twine as they cool but I didn't and they look fine.
Oh, and I did remove the HID bulb and ballast for safety's sake.

The whole lens swapping/ baking part took me about an hour.

I am SO glad I did this. The orange corner markers stood out like a sore thumb, especially on a blue car. Now just swap in the JDM side markers and the look is complete.

Happy Holidays,
Old 12-06-2002, 10:43 AM

One more thing... Ricks diffusers are the same size/ shape/ weight as oem. Which means no one in the SCCA can protest me for illegally lightening my headlights.

I'm only partly kidding.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the write-up. I will be doing this soon. What about this whole concern about getting moisture in the headlights due to the damp towel?

Was it tough to take out the HID and ballasts?