S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

XM Radio question... Hooking it up WITHOUT using FM Modulator or Cassette Adapter????

Old 01-23-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio question... Hooking it up WITHOUT using FM Modulator or Cassette Adapter????

Hello... Title says it all. I have an Eclipse Head Unit and I want to get the XM Radio installed. I really want to get it DIRECTLY connected to the Head Unit and I don't want to use an FM Modulator OR the dreaded cassette adapter since I have a CD Player, not a cassette. Anyone has any suggestions other than getting a different Head Unit?

Thanks for your time...

Regards...

Old 01-23-2004, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm ? interesting, I thought it always needed the specific XM FM modulator. I have an alpine 9815 head unit and I was told I'd need that modulator or some sort of additional xm box that attaches to the deck. Do a search as I think there is a link to it. I remember seeing it and thought to myself, this additional xm unit, is simply too expensive at the moment.

also, I think this thread would be better answered in the Electronics forum
Old 01-23-2004, 01:05 PM

You can do the XM Roadie or the Delphi XM Portable, they both have line outs.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:15 PM

I just got a Roady. Really like it. I a using the wireless FM mod. It seem to work fine. I do want to get a aux. imput adapter. I have gone to xmfan.com. It has lots of information. It also links to xmfan store. There are two type of adapters. One form P.I.E and the other Blitzsafe. Some of the post says there is a problem with the PIE. My next mod will be the Blitzsafe adapter.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Sutherland
I just got a Roady.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:32 AM

I work with car audio for a living and I only have 2 solutions for you.

1) Change your head unit to an Alpine or Pioneer Premier so that you can use an XM receiver that plugs directly into your head unit. I have a Premier unit that looks and works great.

2) XM Commander. It is intended to be FM Modulated, but it doesnt have to be. It has line outputs on it and can be run directly into your inputs on your eclipse deck. You will need the XM Commander head unit to control your XM. The Commander's head unit is small enough and just the right shape that if you are, or have a qualified installer, you can make a plate and flush mount it into the coin pocket behind your cup holder. It is a little out of place having a display unit under your wrist, but astheticly speaking, it goes ok.

If you switch to a Premier or an Alpine unit you can pick up a blitsafe adapter that will allow you to maintain use of your on dash radio controls.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:28 PM

I have the Delphi Roady unit. I started with the wireless modulator and hated it immediately. I purchased a PIE Aux adapter which connects to my OEM Honda CD changer. If your eclipse unit has a CD changer port than chances are there will be an adapter you could use.

Check this site: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/
Old 01-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which Eclipse head unit do you have? Some have aux inputs. You can run the out jack to the aux in. You may get some whine if you don't use a ground loop isolator.

I have a Sony head unit that will accept aux inputs via an adapter. The adapter and an FM modulator were about the same price so I went with the adapter...plus I can now hook a PC or external MP3 player to the head unit as a sound source as it has USB port. The ground loop isolator I picked up from Radio Shack (Catalog #: 270-054) has the 1/8" jack adapter to go to the RCA style needed for the aux-in.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by negcamber
Which Eclipse head unit do you have?