S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

XM radi0

Old 05-23-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM radi0

is there a stock xm radio for our cars?

like from honda or something.. i really like the use of my volume control and everything on the side.. really convienient

is there?..
Old 05-23-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trunger,May 23 2005, 07:49 PM

like from honda or something.. i really like the use of my volume control and everything on the side.. really convienient

is there?..
The '04-'05 models are pre-wired for a factory dealer installed XM radio that uses the stock head unit to control and play the unit. Check out H & A Accessories and scroll down (it's #3 on the list under the CD players) till you find it. There's a link that will load a PDF file with installation instructions.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:53 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by trunger,May 23 2005, 05:49 PM

is there?..
Just do what I did...

I got an Alpine 9833 (from my Si) (~$300)... Bought the Alpine DirectConnect Adapter ($50), the XM Tuner ($50), and Modifry's DCI controller ($85?)...

Much better sound, much better looking, and cheaper...

Stock headunits suck... I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 AM

Honda does have an XM radio option for the car, but it is STUPID expensive! The local dealer wanted 1100 bucks for the radio, and another 895 for the headrest speakers. Obviously, both were non-starters.

I went to a local electronics store who shall remain nameless (Circuit City), picked out a nice Sony XM/CD/Radio, and attempted to have it installed. When the job was complete, the remote controls on the left side of the cockpit wouldn't work, and the dust cover door woudn't close. (They said the radio was too big) They then removed the radio, reinstalled the factory one, and gave me my money back after I had a fairly loud one way conversation with the manager.

Went to another local store which specializes in car audio, and they were able properly install my XM. Make sure you buy a radio that has a remote (such as you use for the TV). The techs can tie the remote receiver to our left side cockpit controls, and all will work fine. And because the installers were not idiots, the dust cover closes properly. They also put the XM receiver just aft of the windshield forward of the dash. Looks great, very unobtrusive, and works fine.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:17 PM

so my stock unit off my 05' can play xm radio?,.... if i read correctly...

i really like the use of the side controls LOTS!@!! really good when someone is calling and i can just mute and use my speakerphone

looks like i will be getting that and the headrest speakers
thanx everybody
Old 05-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I have an '05 and I got the XM radio put in by the dealership. It may not sound as good as what others are putting in but I do like being able to use the radio as is and flick through the XM presets (you set them yourself). I also got the 8 stack CD changer, so just by hitting the mode button on the left of the steering wheel, it will cycle through the CD slot, the 8-CD stack, XM 1 presets, XM 2 presets, FM 1 presets, FM 2 presets, AM presets and all over again. You hit CH (I think it is) to cycle through the presets in each mode. I know the button positions but I don't remember for sure what's on them. Also, the little screen will tell you which XM station you are on, and what it's called, the Artist, and the song that is playing. Like CH 7, the 70's, and Supertramp, Breakfast in America. It doesn't fill the whole title in but you get the idea.

The only problem with the Honda installation is that the XM antenna cover goes in the middle of the trunk (which is OK by me), but it only comes in Sebring Silver. You have to get it painted to match the car.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:08 PM

The antenna comes in Silverstone, which sucks since I have Sebring. I don't like the idea of painting it or mounting it on top of the trunk so I am going to try to mount it in the secret compartment when I get home from DC. A few other members have done this and report that the reception is fine. If you look at the installation instructions at HandA for the CD player instal you can figure out how to run the cable for the antenna into the secret compartment. I'll let you know if I manage to do it without messing up too royally and what the reception is like.

Alex
Old 05-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I thought my antenna cover was Sebring Silver as it didn't match my '01 Silverstone S2000. It was lighter.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM

I don't see why you can't just purchase an XM tuner w/ antenna and direct connect adapter and hook it up using the XM ready inputs on the 04-05 models....this should only run a total of maybe $100-150 assuming you install yourself....
Old 05-24-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler N,May 24 2005, 09:19 PM
I don't see why you can't just purchase an XM tuner w/ antenna and direct connect adapter and hook it up using the XM ready inputs on the 04-05 models....this should only run a total of maybe $100-150 assuming you install yourself....
The adapters are made for specific brands/models of radios(Alpine, Panasonic, etc). None of them happen to be for Honda...

Quick Reply: XM radi0