S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

WTB s2k. Local or out of state?

Old 03-07-2002, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB s2k. Local or out of state?

Hi everyone. I'm serious considering buying an s2k but the dealers here in silicon valley are asking too much. I'll be on a trip to new york and washington later this month. I heard people saying they can get new '02 in MA for 29k? Do you guys know if I can get good deals in the area?

Or anyone know of dealers in N Cali have s2k in stock with good price? I tried the MSRP dealers but they don't have any in stock.

Also, I haven't purchased cars from out of state and I'm assuming adding CA emission is not a problem? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:12 PM

I bought mine in MA. S2 is a 50 state car. CA Emissions are not a problem. I paid $29,990 for an 01. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:00 AM

hey reds2, that's a great deal!!! which dealer did you get it from?
Old 03-08-2002, 08:33 AM

I just bought an '02 Blue/Blue yesterday at Honda of Stevens Creek, in San Jose, for MSRP, with no forced options.

Almost every dealer in CA thought I was crazy to think I'd get MSRP, and I called a *lot* of them. A few said they'd do it though; Stockton Honda (didn't have my color), a dealership in Napa (no more this year), and Oakland said maybe. Some others would do MSRP, but only with forced options (Concord, Vacaville). I was persistent though; I just used Yahoo yellow pages and did an expanding radius search. The important thing is that I called places back more than once (after a day or two); it's amazing what different results you'll get with different people.

At first Stevens Creek was saying $4k over, but would sell me the white/red on their floor at MSRP. I told them no, and to call me if interested. In any case, I called back a few hours later, and asked for the Sales Manager, who if anyone, would have at least some decision-making authority. I ended up talking to the General Manager, who said he'd so MSRP. I asked for a fax confirming that, but he said he's sitting right with his Sales Manager, and is guaranteeing that if I come in the next day, he'd sell me the blue at MSRP. I don't know what accounted for his change of heart, because the first guy I talked to did ask on my behalf.

The funny thing is, I later checked my voicemail (originally called from work, and don't have cell service in the office, but had given my cell phone # to the salesman) and had two messages from the salesman asking me to please call back, and even saying the manager is desperate to get rid of the car and would do MSRP.

I went in yesterday, he did give it to me @ MSRP with no hassle, and I couldn't be happier! I didn't get as much for my yellow '00 Integra Type R as I'd have liked, but I can't complain; I got a decent deal. (My friend just paid $1k over MSRP at Doten Honda in Berkeley.)

I did find a dealer in Ohio who was willing to ship the car here, and discount it enough to pay for shipping (he says they're out of season there, and just taking up space/costing money to have on the floor). I wasn't really wanting to deal with that, but for no extra cost, was considering it. He said it is 50-state legal, but I would just need to get it smogged and have DMV check it out. I never looked into details of this, and was actually planning to post here and ask too.

Don't give up, bluedd; if you're persistent, you can find one at MSRP in northern CA; just be firm and tell them that's your goal and you'll keep looking until you find it.

What a car! Even coming from the Type R (which I drove pretty aggressively, and which was a lot of fun), I have to say, WOW!! I am very impressed with the build quality, and I think Honda has done a great job of blending sport with class.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:56 AM

Hi jelee,

Do you know if the White/Red S2k at Steven Creeks has any forced options? I am currently looking to buy a white S2k..

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2002, 02:11 PM

To my knowledge, no. The General Manager said he doesn't believe in that. I suggest you give him a call (I don't remember his name, but just ask for the GM) and talk to him; he's pretty eager to sell the car. You ought to be able to get MSRP, though of course I can't speak for him.

Note that it does have the red interior, which I didn't care for with the white...

Good luck!

I'm gonna have to leave work early; it's sunny outside, and this is my first full day with my new toy!
Old 03-08-2002, 05:09 PM

Congrats jelee. Thanks for your info. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:09 PM

Bluedd,

Hondanorth.com

S2000 is a 50 state car.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:50 PM

thanks red. just got a suzuka tonight locally.