S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

"wrong" Grade oil by dealer

Old 05-02-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "wrong" Grade oil by dealer

Just had my 3 yr service, and had my usual oil change by SF Honda . THought I'd change to synthetic as I'm at 24k miles and use less than 1 qt between 3k-3750 mi oil changes. Asked them to put in synthetic, and they have always (appropriately) put in 10w-30 in the past, as I'm picking it up tonight, I find they put in castrol 15w-50- advisor said that was what honda recommended. Of course, my manual doesn't say anything about using a different grade for synthetic. In SF, it shouldn't get too cold, so it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I still don't like it. Should I freak out and change the oil prior to my next oil change?
Thanks for the input!
Don
Old 05-03-2003, 02:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More dealer. Make them do another oil change and WATCH them put in the new oil with your specifications. I stopped going to the dealership after they had forgotten to put the oil cap on. Lucky I caught it after 19km and the cap next to my battery. They did end up cleaning the engine and replacing the hoods fiber undercover. I was also fortunate that I did not VTEC once.

Honda dealerships have no respect for the S2000.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:47 AM

I always bring my own oil. The S2000 is the only Honda (or was) that takes 10W30. I trust my dealer, but they also use Valvoline oil while I prefer Mobil 1. At the first oil change, they were actually happy I brought oil; it saved them the trouble of having to get some. All they do is charge me labor, shop supplies and parts (crush washer and filter) for an oil change. When I was still in the break-in period, an oil change only cost me less than 2 bucks more then if I had them supply the oil.

I would have them replace the oil with the proper specifications. If they are adamant about that Honda recommend its, have them call Honda customer care on a speakerphone and you do all the talking. If Honda says no, thanks them, hang up and say you heard, the answer is no.

Lance
Old 05-03-2003, 05:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I had the time I might hassle them to change it, otherwise would just wait for the next oil change.. what they used is a little heavy but will work OK.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by blackS2000
More dealer. I stopped going to the dealership after they had forgotten to put the oil cap on. Honda dealerships have no respect for the S2000.
Precisely why I do my own oil changes. It's bad enough having one of their mechanics working on it for the bigger stuff, but they probably have some total rookie doing the oil changes.

It takes me less than half an hour to change my oil. About the same time it takes to drive to the dealership and back.

BlackS2000, what dealership was it?
Old 05-03-2003, 06:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lanbrown
[B]I always bring my own oil.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:26 AM

Its Mobil not Mobile. I used dino oil until the break-in. There have been others that have gone straight to synthetic with no adverse effects. While the recommendation is to use dino oil until break-in, it is not necessary. Motors are manufactured with such tight tolerances compared to motors produced a decade ago. Manufacturers also do not recommend full throttle and high RPM for the first 600 miles, but one major automaker tests all engines before they are shipped on a test bench/dyno and it involves full throttle and high rpm. Some other cars come from the factory with synthetic already in the engine.

Lance
Old 05-03-2003, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 05-03-2003, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lanbrown
[B]Its Mobil not Mobile.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And don't you just love it come Honda Survey time asking for great feedback. Whatever

Quick Reply: "wrong" Grade oil by dealer