S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Would Honda sell more S2000s if...

Old 10-05-2002, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KAMcDonald
[B]
the first post also talked about nissan dealers falling all over themselves letting people into 350z's, my local dealer claims they are all presold with a $1000 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit, and they do not expect to get anything in available for test drives in the next 18-24 months, but the cars sell themselves and and no one who has bought one has been unhappy with their decision....
Old 10-05-2002, 07:02 AM
cbj

Originally posted by Elistan

I wish I could find the reference, but I read a while back that the S2000 was profitable after six months of production...
Is this it?

From a presentation by Hiroyuki Yoshino, President, Honda Motor Co.

1999 Automotive Management Briefing, August 4
"The plant in Japan where we produce the Acura NSX and the new S2000 sports car is a Small Born Plant - as we produce profitably, at a relatively low volume. The new S2000 will debut in the U.S. this fall -- with an advanced new engine that achieves very high performance, yet is a low emission vehicle. And the S2000 will be sold at a relatively low price. The efficient Takanezawa Plant is the key -- producing just 100 units per day on two shifts, the S2000 line is already profitable after less than six months of production. "
Old 10-05-2002, 08:49 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think about it this way...

Would YOU buy a new S2000 that had an 100 miles on it from test drives? I wouldn't.

I got to test drive a new one, an 01 Black, and devirginized it. VTECing to redline, bounced it off the rev limiter, slam on the brakes, hard turns, took it up to 125MPH on the expressway. The car had 7 miles when I drove it. I had the sales guy with me (he was young so he didn't care), and drove it for an hour. Came back with close to 60 miles on the odo.

Now knowing this, would you have brought this car? No.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mav
[B]Think about it this way...

Would YOU buy a new S2000 that had an 100 miles on it from test drives?
Old 10-05-2002, 04:18 PM

First, I think not allowing test drives is strictly a local dealer decision, not a Honda decision.

Second, as many others have already said, there is no incentive for the dealers to let people test drive because they are already selling all the cars they can get. I know there are specific dealers in remote regions who cannot unload their S, but in general, dealers have no trouble selling their cars without allowing test drives.

Third, I don't think Honda dealers are unique in their decision to limit test drives. Ever try to test drive a Viper? Even the 350Z is difficult to get a test drive. And believe it or not, some Toyota dealers will not allow test drives of the MR2-Spyder. It is not easy to test drive a Porsche, but not that difficult. So it is all a matter of what the dealer thinks their cars are worth.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:30 PM

Interesting thread with many valid points. I bought my 01 from a dealer that let me test drive one, although I got a different one right off the truck.

I got a lot of flack last year for VTECing a new S with <600mi., but I just couldn't shell out the dough on word of mouth and good reviews.

BTW, I didn't buy the car I test drove because it had $4k worth of spoilers and such, that, for me, took away from the cars appearance.

Also is agreement with whoever posted about Honda not knowing how to sell or service a sports car. The dealers I dealt with wouldn't know a change from the Accord demographic if it bit them in the ass. That in itself would keep me away from buying another Honda performace vehicle.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:51 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,646 Posts

While there are some dealers who just don't do the test drive thing, A lot of what goes into the test drive decision is what you look like to the sales guy.
If your 17 or 18 with a couple of buddies the likelihood that he will ever see a dime from you is statistically pretty low. so any chance of a test drive is yeah right pal.
on the other hand if you 45, with grey hair, pull up in a benz and say "hey i heard this was pretty quick and I'm looking for a toy. I'd like to take it for a ride".. The dealer was willing to take it off his showroom floor to get me in the seat for a test drive.
They just look at their chances of a sale.

I test almost eveery new MB that comes out. my dealer knows he'll get me when the time and car is right, but knows it keeps me happy till then.

I had a tougher time with a 911 turbo. I couldn't even find one to sit in to find out if I fit. ( too tall.)
Old 10-05-2002, 06:53 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 310 Likes on 149 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cbj
[B]From a presentation by Hiroyuki Yoshino, President, Honda Motor Co.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:37 PM

TwoHoos:

If your right about the profit and tooling, which sounds right +/-, then do you believe that Honda will tool up again to update the model.

F20C shares the same block with the K20C, and that's about where the commonality with other Honda car parts stops. To update the S2000 will require new tooling (assuming you don't try to put i-vtec on the F20C).

I don't believe that Honda will start with a clean sheet with the next S2000.

I do believe that they will try to get 30+ more hp with more aggressive intake/exhaust/ECU and i-vtec.

I would like to see them wedge the new accord v6 with 40 more hp.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:49 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by brushman

No I wouldn't, but thats not the point.

Did that test drive sell you.

If so, would more people being exposed to the S2000 through test drives help boost sales?
Actually I was already sold on the car before hand and I would have most likely purchased it without test driving one.

I think your presumption is wrong here. Honda doesn't need to boost sales on its S2000. At least in my area, as soon as a S2000 arrives, its gone... either to someone waiting for it or it will be sold within days. There's no problem with Honda selling the car, especially when the car basically sells itself.

Quick Reply: Would Honda sell more S2000s if...