S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Worst car company on the planet!!!

Old 02-08-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I addressed just previously, its not so much the dealer. On the s2000 to be exact i dont know if you know this but all the tech really does at the dealer is plug the computer in and call honda tech line and they diagnose the problem via the phone. Dealer techs rarely even diagnose and fix a s2000 with out some type of corperate approval. Which isnt always the best way to handle things. When things are handled this way, little things individual customer care sometimes gets lost. Not by the dealer, but by AHM. Which they do not seem to care about, for they do not handle questions about thier service let alone people who have complaints. They tell them that what ever the local decision is we are standing by. They offer NO alternative of any sort. Which also is not always satisfying to customers. So thanks for the input and noah2000. Best of luck in your s2000 ownership =)

-Dave
Old 02-08-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by SanMarinoCpe
First off I wish everyone with a legitimate issue a resolution. Having said that I would like to give an opinion. Most of these problems I have read relate bad on Honda but even worse it relates bad to the dealership involved. If your dealership is not in a good upstanding relationship with Honda then everything they do will be questioned by Honda and the DPSM and in the end the customer will suffer. Any kind of dealership not just Honda that has a dealership that abuses its warranty repairs or submits susceptible repairs will have a difficult time getting the repair paid for by the manufacture and I think this leads to a lot of the problems here. If you get a BS answer from your service manager imagine what they are telling Honda on some of these repairs. I have yet to see a legitimate warranty repair refused by our DPSM but then again we also have a great working relationship with them. JMO
Your great service might be due to the massive amount of Honda engineers in your area. Couldn't tell you. This problem I had was a consistent problem that two different dealership, and evidently I could not solve. It all comes down to service. When a customer comes into a dealership with a list of complaints, the dealership should listen to those complaints. I brought my car in twice to one dealership and once to another for hesitation and a check engine light. One of the dealers said "You didn't put you gas cap on." That was his response twice. First time, fine. Second, I don't think so. They reset my check engine light and sent me on my way. I didn't want to go back to that dealership because I didn't want to get handed a bill for scanning for what they called a user error. That kind of response is what I expect and have received from GM, not Honda. When this latest incident happened without warning, I dropped it off at the new dealer. Their response was like hitting a brick wall. I couldn't talk to the region rep. The dealer wanted the $5500 immediately or the car would be towed. They also are not covering the other fixes (clutch buzz, second-gear-grind, driver's mirror falling off on hot days, auto-down not working) until the engine runs. Where am I supposed to go from there. I was given no opportunity to respond.

As a side note, I did check my warranty. Unless I am reading it wrong, they are supposed to cover this. There are several ways to easily void your warrantee; I did none of them.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I have been following this thread from the beginning and I'd like to make a few comments:

1. Age has absolutely nothing to do with a defective car. I am 52 with over 35 years of driving experience. In that time, I have had some fine cars and some lemons. Be assured that the problems with the lemons had nothing to do with my age. It is wrong to suggest that a car is defective because of the age of its owner. A car is defective because it is defective, not because of a young driver.

2. If an automobile company manufactures a performance automobile, and markets it as such, it should be designed and built to stand up to the rigors of performance driving. The customer should get what the customer bought. If the customer abuses the car, that is a different story, but a high performance car needs to be able to withstand high performance use.

3. Service is not Honda or its dealerships strong point. That having been said, it is wrong to blame the customers attitude for poor service. It is also wrong to assume that the customer is wrong just because the dealership or manufacturer says so. If the dealer and manufacturer wave the warranty in the customers face at the time of sale, the customer has the right to expect the warranty to be honored when there is a problem. Fair is fair.

4. All of that having been said, the customer has an obligation to maintain the vehicle properly. A car, for example, that is used without the proper amount of oil is a car that is being abused. If that is the case, the customer is at fault, and should expect trouble with the automobile.

5. It is grossly unfair for the customer to contend that a car company is producing substandard cars because of problems with his/her car. Especially when the company in question has built a reputation for quality vehicles, and is held in high esteem by the market place. You can fool an individual customer for a short period, but you can't fool the entire market for long.

6. If the dealership and/or DSM is giving the customer a difficult time, it is up to the customer to find a dealership that will better satisfy him/her. This is work that the consumer shouldn't have to do in the ideal world, but unfortunately, it has to be done in the real world. I am lucky to deal with an exceptionally responsive and responsible dealership, as are many others. I have only good things to say about my dealer. Yet there are many out there who have had the opposite experience. It is up to you to find satisfaction.

These are some of the thoughts that I've had while reading the postings in this thread.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Honda and the S2000. I have had my car for a year now and it is the best car I have ever owned and I look forward to bringing her out of hibernation. I guess the S just isn't for you.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:47 AM

My 2 cents:

Having had a Lexus SC400 then the S2000 and now a Mercedes, I think Honda's service department works like a front desk receptionist, and Lexus's service department works like your own personal butler. I've not fully experienced MB's service, but they also seem to be very accomodating.

BMW service department is very smobbish, until you let them know that you are one of their customers, then it's all smiles.

Autowest Honda in Fremont CA (Bert, Serivce Manager, is really cool with S2000 owners) has very good service department, but don't expect them to give you the same personal touch as the other "more expensive" brands.

I'm not sure if I would buy another Honda, since I'm a little used to the "personal touchs".
Old 02-09-2003, 03:04 AM

Agree with the way you feel about Honda loving_my_s2k.

Fvck Honda!

Never again.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:16 AM

ralper and dhess and loving my s2k-----------------------------amen
Old 02-09-2003, 08:22 AM

I am sorry to hear of your problems. It sounds like you got a lemon and a shotty dealer. Please understand that this is not normal reflection of a Honda. Both Hondas I have now are champions of the badge. The S for its racing flair and the old beater Civic that is 21 years old that still turns over every time I twist the key. The Civic SI I owned prior ran flawlessly for the two years I owned it. I am a Honda loyalist for life and there nothing anyone could say that would change that.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by nine grand
I am a Honda loyalist for life and there nothing anyone could say that would change that.
We were at one point. The thing is it wasnt anything someone said. Its what honda did. I wish ya continued ease with Honda. =)

-Dave
Old 02-09-2003, 11:08 AM

Sorry about the luck, but every car is a machine and machines do break. But your chances of a honda breaking are far less than most cars out there. If you thought you were in the shop a lot with your honda wait till you purchase a GM, Ford or Daimler-Benz product, seeing as these three companies have their hands in almost every car company you can't escape them. Look what Ford did to Jag!

Suck it up and realize that cars break sometimes, why do you think every make and model of car has a SERVICE DEPT at the dealership?? And if you got a lemon use the law to your advantage, like its been sait sh#t happens.

Quick Reply: Worst car company on the planet!!!