S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

worried about theft or getting softtop slashed... ideas?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default worried about theft or getting softtop slashed... ideas?

i live in low crime rate suburb but im still paranoid about theft and dumb teens. what are some good security systems? i have read clifford on these threads but are there other systems that work just as well? also what's a 2-way security system?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Viper 5701 2-way alarm system with remote start and I love it. 2 way means that you can send the alarm system signals and the alarm can send you signals. For example, when locking the car, the alarm system sends you a confirmation that the car has been locked. If the alarm goes off, then your keyfob alarms you that the alarm has gone off. 2-way alarm is a must for this car to keep your paranoia levels down. Get an alarm with good range as you can get signals from your car about a mile away. I find this extremely useful as sometimes I forget to lock the car and I can lock it from a far distance, as well as a confirmation that it has been locked. Whenever I go to the movies, I like to park my car near the screening building so I'm within the range of my alarm system. I am too extremely paranoid with my S getting tampered with, even if it's in my garage haha. You should also look into tilt sensors, a back up battery, and a proximity sensor for when someone is near your car when the top is down.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 AM

2 way paging alarm. Itr isn't perfect but it does give me peace of mind.

Also, park it smart.

Alternative- keep a Doberman or a big snake in your car

-jazzman
Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

even a good alarm wont go off until the top is already slashed. Best thing is to not leave any valuables visible and have an alarm, this will deter thieves, and just park smart and hope for the best with regard to vandalism. That said, the vast majority never have had and never will have someone slash our tops. Stop spending so much time and energy worrying and enjoy the car a bit!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 AM

All you can do is have good insurance, anything else you do to "protect" yourself won't matter. Don't drive yourself crazy worrying about a piece of metal, if it happens it happens, if not then not.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Clifford, Viper, Python and some others are all owned by DEI. Which means that they all have the same alarms just different packaging.
For example the Viper 5901 is the same alarm as the Python 991 and the Clifford 50.7X.
Another option a lot of people also use is Compustar. A completely different company with similar features: two-way, remote start, ect.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooseman
I've got the Viper 5701 2-way alarm system with remote start and I love it. 2 way means that you can send the alarm system signals and the alarm can send you signals. For example, when locking the car, the alarm system sends you a confirmation that the car has been locked. If the alarm goes off, then your keyfob alarms you that the alarm has gone off. 2-way alarm is a must for this car to keep your paranoia levels down. Get an alarm with good range as you can get signals from your car about a mile away. I find this extremely useful as sometimes I forget to lock the car and I can lock it from a far distance, as well as a confirmation that it has been locked. Whenever I go to the movies, I like to park my car near the screening building so I'm within the range of my alarm system. I am too extremely paranoid with my S getting tampered with, even if it's in my garage haha. You should also look into tilt sensors, a back up battery, and a proximity sensor for when someone is near your car when the top is down.
great info! why would i need a back up battery? would a yellow top suffice?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 AM

I think that having a fancy shit knob encourage "trophy seekers."
Leave nothing in sight that would entice a crimina to violate your ride.

-jazzman
Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by calvinnnnn
Originally Posted by Mooseman' timestamp='1317882926' post='21044572
great info! why would i need a back up battery? would a yellow top suffice?
My guess is in case thieves try to disconnect the battery there is a back up somewhere else.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:21 AM

I asked this question in another thread; I was wondering if people use their window stickers that come with the alarm. I got mine with the Viper, and they're pretty cheesy, but I figure if they make a thief think twice then it'll be worth putting them on.

Quick Reply: worried about theft or getting softtop slashed... ideas?