S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Work Wheel Curb Check!

Old 10-29-2001, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PICS posted further down in thread.

Yes, I have to admit it. I did some lousy driving Friday night and curb scraped my two passenger side wheels. I had the damn radio on and didn't even hear the scrape happen. I should have taken some pics, but I've already taken the wheels off the car and taken them up to a local wheel store for a possible repair.

I wanted to find out if anyone else has any experience with getting scraped wheels repaired?

The guy at the shop said that if the rim was a "polished" lip, then he could probably just buff the scratch out and it would be like new, but if it was "annodized" then he could get the scratches out, but the shiney chrome-like look will probably be gone in the area of the scrape because annodized is just a shiney coating that is baked into the lip metal and once it's gone, it's gone.

I just figured that this is more common with sports cars since we have the larger wheels and less tire sidewall, so I wanted to hear about any experiences with repairs.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Annodizing is a chemical bath process that is used on AL, it is not baked on. It does not brighten or polish the metal. It is done to prevent corosion and the metal can be "tinted" in the process. Unlike a coating, the color actually is below the original surface, in other words annodizing does not add thickness to the part. You've seen various colors like blue, gold, and red on things like heatsinks? That's an example of an annodized part.

The S2000 wheel is not annodized it is just polished and clearcoated. I've had a wheel repaired before (on a Prelude) and it's not a difficult thing espcially on this type of wheel.

The guy doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about you might want to try another place.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:44 AM

No, you must not have read the title of my thread. I don't have stock wheels. I have Work Meister S2R 18 inch rims. If you haven't seen them before, refer to the pic in my sig. They are 10 spoke forged wheels. The spokes have more satin finish and the lip or dish have a chome polished look. The edge of the lip got curbed and scratched. The guy at the repair shop was basing his opinion because he wasn't sure whether the Work rims are annodized or polished. He said he'd just work with it and try to make it look as good as he can. I guess I would at least rather have a smooth pale lip rather than a jagged shiney one.

Here's a somewhat close-up pic of my rims without scrapes

Old 10-29-2001, 09:56 AM

man that sucks ass....sorry to hear that dude

when i had my c5s i hit a vicious pothole and put in two nasty dents and i was super pissed
Old 10-29-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Swurvydel
man that sucks ass....sorry to hear that dude

when i had my c5s i hit a vicious pothole and put in two nasty dents and i was super pissed
I have a dented C5. Did you fix it or replace the outer lip? I'd like to replace the outer, but can't find anyone who stocks them since they were discontinued.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:09 AM

Well luckily I have no structure damage like you guys. Mine is all aesthetic damage. Has anyone had experiences removing curb scrapes?
Old 10-29-2001, 08:12 PM

I have to admit it, I too have the 18" WM rims and got a curb scar the other weekend. I was driving in this roundabout and just going too fast, the rear stepped out and just tapped the curb...the pic looks so bad I'm not even going to post it. From 10 feet or so it's not even noticable, but I know it's there, which is all that's important. A few shops in St Louis said they could fix it no problem for a hundred bucks, easy change. I'll make it up there one day...

Andrew
Old 10-29-2001, 08:56 PM

Well the repair guy I'm using quoted me $50 a wheel. But I'm betting that you have more damage than I do since you were travelling at speed when you scraped. I was just barely moving while backing into a parallel parking spot. I should have taken a pic.

Actually, just because I wanted to see if I could fix it, I bought some different grade sanding papers and smoothed out most of the scrape on one of the wheels. I don't have any high powered buffing equipment, but I was able to get most of the deep grooves smooth. It did seem like it dulled the rim, but it may just need to be buffed. I hope they can restore it to new.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:47 AM

I'm picking up my repaired rims later today. So we'll see what kind of repairing they were able to get done on them.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:53 AM

Post pictures of the repair work, I've had this sort of damage before and would like to know what the results look like...

Quick Reply: Work Wheel Curb Check!