S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Winter in New England

Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter in New England

Hi all..

I just bought a 2005 S2000, and now I am very strapped for cash, so needless to say I am ganna, need to drive this for this winter, or for the first part of it atleast. I really dont want to - but you gotta do what you gotta do right... So I am just wondering what I'm getting my self into, looking for some hints and tricks. The dealer put 4 new tires on the car when I picked it up.

I live in Connecticut and I take the bus to work (down town Hartford) so I really don't drive far, I only drive about 1 1/2 miles to the bus stop no hills. So its really not that bad.

I know I will get alot of feedback saying dont do it, and believe me, if I had another choice I would do that. But I have no choice other than to drive it till i can find a winter beater and have money for it.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

You'll need snow tires to drive at all in snow, slush or heavy cold rain - the S has zero traction on summer tires in the snow. If its just cold, just be careful with the summer tires.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't drive this car in the snow no matter what.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have dedicated snow tires when the temps drop below 40*F, regardless of whether there is snow, slush, or ice on the roads. OEM tires turn to bricks in the cold, and you will slip and slide. When the weather gets bad, don't even attempt to drive a foot, because you won't even make it an inch on OEMs. I'm in CT too and I drive my S in the winter. I have Michelin X-Ice tires on OEM 16" wheels, and I've never had a serious problem. I wouldn't worry about tooling around DT H-Town in the snow.. just get winter tires. The S really is a pretty capable winter car. The only issues are on steep hills with very slick covering (packed down snow or slush) that have a grade to one side of the other. This causes the back end to kick out, and there's basically nothing you can do about it. This has gotten me into trouble twice, but I never got stuck.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM

where exactly is new "englind"?

lol

Yes, snow tires. Otherwise, avoid driving in the snow with the S at all costs. Walk! Ride a bike! Dogsled! hitchhike!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Snow tires, do not leave home without em.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm def,Oct 16 2008, 05:11 PM
Snow tires, do not leave home without em.
Unless its summer...
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM

personally save your atleast $600 on winter tires and buy a $200 POS beater and another couple bucks to get it resgistered and rock that
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't drive an s2000 in the snow with 8WD, 33" tires, and a winch. It's not the s2000 I'm worried about. It's the other retards on the road that think they have 4WD, so they are safe. With snow tires, you can drive in light snow (1-3") but anything else, you won't move. There is no room under the car, and there is not enough gap space between the tires for the snow to go. Not to mention, in NE where snow can lay on the ground for months, that snow turns to ice, and that ice will start to rip parts off the bottom of your car.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 AM

I used my S all year round and bought a pair of Blizzaks. It was so worth it, I had better traction than front wheel drive cars. I also put about 150 pounds of salt and sand (in bags of course) in the trunk.

I live in Yonkers NY which is the second hilliest city in the nation. Believe me snow tires work. Just take it easy when stepping on the gas otherwise the cars back it likes to step out but once you get going its fine. In fact I had alot of fun driving in the snow.

Also make sure not to plow through snow that had been plowed, melted and then re-froze. Otherwise you might ruin the front end of your car...its like hitting giant boulders.

Quick Reply: Winter in New England