S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Winter Advice Needed

Old 10-13-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Advice Needed

Hello,

I've been driving the Miata since it came out in the fall of 89 but now I'm considering a used s2000
I've driven the Miata every winter with just all-season tires and only when we get a lot of snow do I have to wait for the roads to get plowed.

Does anyone know if the s2000 is lower than the Miata making it harder to get through snow?

I'm also wondering if anyone drives their s2000 in winter without a hardtop?

If a hardtop is essential (I live in Alberta) where can I find the cheapest one that will ship to Canada?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same boat, but always used snow tires. Riding along for answers to your question
Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dudley Canuck
Hello,

I've been driving the Miata since it came out in the fall of 89 but now I'm considering a used s2000
I've driven the Miata every winter with just all-season tires and only when we get a lot of snow do I have to wait for the roads to get plowed.

Does anyone know if the s2000 is lower than the Miata making it harder to get through snow?
If you've driven a Miata for over two decades you will have no problems transitioning to an S2000 in snow. Your specific ride height question would come down to which years you're comparing and I'm sure you can find some answers with enough searching online, but I don't see it being significantly different to the point that it actually matters regarding snow driving capabilities. Both cars are low, RWD, with ok-but-not-great ground clearance. You'll be applying the same precautions to the S2000 as the Miata, which if it's anything like my experience, means you are good to go as long as the snow is not so deep that it is higher than the undercarriage.

I'm also wondering if anyone drives their s2000 in winter without a hardtop?
Three years now, going on four. The soft top is fine in the winter. I have never had any winter weather issues with it.

If a hardtop is essential (I live in Alberta) where can I find the cheapest one that will ship to Canada?
The S2000 OEM hardtops are out of production and cannot be bought new, so if you want something new it will be aftermarket. You can find some of these options in the mid-$1000s range but you'll want to make sure they come with all necessary mounting hardware, otherwise you may be spending another few hundred. I don't know much about the aftermarket setups. Buying a used OEM hardtop will set you back around $3000 +/- 200 depending on completeness (mounting hardware), color, and condition.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I believe ride height is lower.

Bigger problem will be controlling power. Vtec cross over in low grip is a 50% increase in power. Can put you sideways.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 AM

You should be fine, but I can't stress it enough GET good winter tires or you will en up in a ditch if the conditions get bad enough.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Thanks guys!

I definitely will get winter tires if I buy the s2000.

Syn, does it get to 30 below at times where you live?
I'm concerned the few times we hit 30 below that it would be too hard on a softtop.

Also, now that it was mentioned Honda no longer makes hardtops, are part prices skyrocketing because the s2000 is no longer in production?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just dont open the softtop when it gets that cold. As long as you arent moving/shifting the vinyl when its cold and stiff, your top will be fine.
or if you're like me and park in a garage with it down, leave it down and wear a hat
Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys!I definitely will get winter tires if I buy the s2000.Syn, does it get to 30 below at times where you live?I'm concerned the few times we hit 30 below that it would be too hard on a softtop.Also, now that it was mentioned Honda no longer makes hardtops, are part prices skyrocketing because the s2000 is no longer in production?
no---"regular" parts are still available from the dealer and other places at normal Honda prices (that's part of why a Miata or an S2000 makes so much sense to hang onto---no BMW or Porshe parts prices as the car ages!!!)

It's primarily the factory OEM "accessories" that are becoming rare---especially the factory hardtops---apparently not a lot were sold initially and the used ones are still going for about what they sold for new (about $3500 US with all the mounting hardware). Other accessories like the front lips for AP1s (before 2004) are also sold out from dealers (but what other manufactorer still sells the OEM accessories for a 9 year old car?)

AP2 (2005+) accessories are still available (front lips, spoilers, etc) from the dealer.

the decision on whether to get snow tires or all-seasons depends on how much snow you'll get. A lot of folks buy an extra set of wheels and mount their winter tires on them so it's easy to switch back and forth. Good used OEM wheels are nearly always available in the classifieds on here as folks switch to aftermarket wheels. There are a lot of folks with AP2 (which come with 17in wheels) that use the older 16 in wheels from an AP1 for snow tires as there is some merit in using a slightly narrower snow tire than what you would use for the summer. Jim at Tire Rack is a great source of tire info on S2ks--he drives one himself--he can be PMed thru this site (see the "tires" forum)

another Canadian who's driven an S2000 year round for at least 10 years is XViper---may want to PM him to get his thoughts as well
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM

What a great site!
Thanks to ALL who responded.

Now I gotta find one at a decent price.
I had my eye on a 2004 selling for $20,000.00 until I read it has the Black Book value of under $15,000.00
Is this not insane or is it still an investment (money wise?

I'm going straight to the Used Prices Thread to see what others are getting theirs at.

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM

What a great site!
Thanks to ALL who responded.

Now I gotta find one at a decent price.
I had my eye on a 2004 selling for $20,000.00 until I read it has the Black Book value of under $15,000.00
Is this not insane or is it still an investment (money wise?

I'm going straight to the Used Prices Thread to see what others are getting theirs at.

Thanks again guys!
i heard theyre banned in canada

Quick Reply: Winter Advice Needed