S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Windshield repair prices?

Old 09-09-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield repair prices?

Freeway today a lil rock made a size of this big on my windshield

"o"

along with 2 very very small crack lines that dont extend out to far. I want to get this fixed ASAP so it wont spread. Do I go to NOVUS? How much is it to get something like this fixed?? I heard 60 bucks??
Ialso put a peice of masking tape on there so no water or anything will get in the crack. BTW its 60 70s here in the temperate range. .
Old 09-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Hi there Silver,

I currently work at an Auto Glass repair company that's owned by family friends to help with school loans, as I have the past three summers, so I'll try to give some insight.

Our shop charges $50 for the first rock chip on a windshield, and $10 for every one after that. There are some stipulations though. If your rock chip is larger than a quarter, you might want to consider replacing your windshield, as chips that large tend to cause a break when a repair attempt is made. Also, if the chip is really close to the edge of the shield, the same problem could arise (a break during the repair attempt). Hopefully this helps a little, pm me if you have any more questions,

Good luck,
Blind
Old 09-09-2004, 08:53 PM

sweet thanks man!! The rock is in the middle of the window of the passenger view area total size of crack with the small line i maybe this big "O"

As long as it isnt in my view I'm happy, I could care less for the passenger since it no one ever sits in my S

thanks though I would def come to your shop if you lived in my state!!

So if a profesional place breaks my window in the attempt do I take the loss?

Ill try to look for areas close to me on yellow pages.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought insurance covered this at no charge.
You go to one of those "we fix windshields for free" places and they deal with the insurance company.
Do you have full coverage?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:13 PM

yes but I dunno if they do windshield maybe I will call em tommorow but I want this ASAP so If I have to pay cash no biggie as long as its not crazy......
Old 09-09-2004, 09:28 PM

how long is the procedue usually and is there an appointment usually or walk in?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:29 PM

Insurance companies are finicky about rock chips, at least in my experiance.

Sometimes they'll cover the charge, other times they wont, I'm not quite sure the logistics on it though, sorry.

As far as taking the loss if it's broken, I believe that varies shop to shop, but most places that are atleast semi-reputable will make it known up front that any break during a repair will result in a free windshield for the customer. That being said, to avoid the possibilty of us replacing to many windshields for free, we dont do repairs if they dont fit under the criteria I mentioned earlier (quarter size, etc.)

Again, good luck, but make sure you do some research. Some shops are unbelievably unprofessional and do shoddy work. Anybody can *fix* a chip, but only good shops can make them dissapear

Regards,
Blind
Old 09-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

There are places that do it for free. I used to see them all the time, at the booths.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Sep 9 2004, 09:28 PM
how long is the procedue usually and is there an appointment usually or walk in?
We encourage appointments (simply to make sure we have a tech in shop when the customer plans to come), but can do them the day the customer calls 99% of the time. We also will take most of the walk ins that show up, as long as we're not totally swamped.

Our experianced techs usually take about 30 min to do the job, but only about 10 min of that is actual work, ~20 is just letting the solution used on the glass work it's magic and fuse the materials in the shield.

Ask how long the shop you go to thinks the procedure will take, as this can give you a hint to the quality of the place.

As a general rule, the longer you let the solution sit, and the more times you "push it in" (without going into a lot of detail ) the better the job will be.

For a good repair, expect about 30 min, though it can be done in as little as 10.

Again, Regards,
Blind
Old 09-09-2004, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by yellafeva,Sep 9 2004, 09:31 PM
There are places that do it for free. I used to see them all the time, at the booths.
This is true, there are plenty around my house too, but they never have customers.

I can say honestly without bias that I personally would rather have my repair done at a certified shop in a professional enviornment than by some loner guy in a parking lot with a tent.

Maybe that's just me though

Quick Reply: Windshield repair prices?