S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wind Noise

Old 10-16-2004, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

Can anyone help me?

My soft top has been getting very noisy in the past few months, it becomes apparent at about 50mph and the noise seems to be coming from the interface witht the top of the windscreen. When I pull down on the grab handle on the inside of the soft top it reduces the noise significantly (I obviously am not going to do this for the duration of every drive!).

I know that the problem is probably the two fastening clips losing their rigidiness but am wondering if I'll have to replace them or is there a way of tightening them?

If anyone has any advice on how to and how much it mught cost to fix the problem it would be great.

JEV
Old 10-16-2004, 01:43 PM

Theres a top for the car!!! Must be in that elusive secret compartment I keep hearing about

Sorry, couldn't resist! I have heard of the roof clips breaking but I haven't heard anything about being able to tighten them. My top is down most of the time but even when its up inside the garage I usually open the roof clips to reduce tension on the top if its going to sit for a while. Maybe somebody here can help you further. Good Luck
Old 10-16-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get some quarter inch aquarium air tubing and put it over the hooks. It will tighten it up for 25 cents...
Old 10-16-2004, 05:20 PM

Depending on the year of your S, you may want to replace the strikers.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 AM

Cheers Thets, I'll give it a try.

What are strikers? Sorry to be a bit dumb
Old 10-18-2004, 11:20 AM

they are the part of the convertible top that you manually operate to secure that convertible top to the top of the windshield frame...i got mine replaced with the hardtop strikers under warranty anf they dont rattle nearly as much.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could actually put a post in the Want to Buy section and pick up a new set of strikers really cheap. Im sure that a number of people have an extra set laying around from purchasing a hard top.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably one of those people. I have a brand new pair of strikers that were not used with my hardtop install. I have no idea if they're model year specific or anything, but I don't need them for anything.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by koala,Oct 18 2004, 12:08 PM
I'm probably one of those people. I have a brand new pair of strikers that were not used with my hardtop install. I have no idea if they're model year specific or anything, but I don't need them for anything.
Do you still have the strikes? I really need them, this wind noisy is killing me.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 06:21 AM

I just did this a month ago. The noise is totally gone. I can't believe I put up with it for as long as I did. I tried the tubing as well, but just buy the strikers. It's worth it.

JASON

Quick Reply: Wind Noise