S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will you hydrolock with the AEM V2? Yes!

Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had an AEM V2 for 2 years now w/out incident. Pluged drain holes, wash car, drive in heavy rain, sits out in rain sometimes...no issues. But, if you did that sucks. You still didn't hydrolock, so your post isn't entirely accurate, but you did take in too much water to maintain proper mixture which isn't that great. Unless you submerge the filter you are not going to hydrolock. A 1/4 cup of water isn't going to hydrolock anything unless you have a 1/2 inch diameter intake, which you don't.

But, that being said, if you've had issues, junk the AEM and go back to stock. I'm sure someone will buy the AEM for $100 or so.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

If i recall, didnt someone come up with a drain type deal that required a hole at the bottom of the death bend on the intake??

I thought i read somewhere that you sacrafice some performance from the intake but you wont have water sitting there..???

anyone know anything about this????
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r26372,Sep 23 2005, 10:15 AM
I've had an AEM V2 for 2 years now w/out incident. Pluged drain holes, wash car, drive in heavy rain, sits out in rain sometimes...no issues. But, if you did that sucks. You still didn't hydrolock, so your post isn't entirely accurate, but you did take in too much water to maintain proper mixture which isn't that great. Unless you submerge the filter you are not going to hydrolock. A 1/4 cup of water isn't going to hydrolock anything unless you have a 1/2 inch diameter intake, which you don't.

But, that being said, if you've had issues, junk the AEM and go back to stock. I'm sure someone will buy the AEM for $100 or so.
a 1/4 cup of water is more then enough to hydrolock our engine. He is not saying he did hydrolock...but he very well could have.

All you need to hydrolock is enough water to fill the combustion chamber at TDC
This should be around .045L or 45mL which is less than 1/5 cups. 1/4 cup is 60mL which yes...that is enough to hydrolock. While it probably wont all go into one cylinder, worst case scenerio, it could.

Drilling a hole at the lowest point could be an easy solution to the problem. Hell if you wanted you could just drill a hole and put a rubber stop in it then unplug it every so often or after it rains to drain it, with no performance loss. This wouldn't help while driving, but...
Old 09-23-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silver9k,Sep 23 2005, 11:34 AM
a 1/4 cup of water is more then enough to hydrolock our engine. He is not saying he did hydrolock...but he very well could have.

All you need to hydrolock is enough water to fill the combustion chamber at TDC
This should be around .045L or 45mL which is less than 1/5 cups. 1/4 cup is 60mL which yes...that is enough to hydrolock. While it probably wont all go into one cylinder, worst case scenerio, it could.
Think about it. The water is not going to travel up the intake as one contiguous blob. I'm not discounting your math that 1/5 cup in 1 cylinder could kill the valves but, I think you would need alot more than 1/5 cup to be in the pipe at once in order to get 1/5 cup into a cylinder.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw,Sep 23 2005, 10:52 AM
Think about it. The water is not going to travel up the intake as one contiguous blob. I'm not discounting your math that 1/5 cup in 1 cylinder could kill the valves but, I think you would need alot more than 1/5 cup to be in the pipe at once in order to get 1/5 cup into a cylinder.
I know it probably wouldn't thats why I said

"While it probably wont all go into one cylinder, worst case scenerio, it could."

I mean, yes it should be more like 1/2 to 3/4 cup to truely do damage...that is correct. My guess is though, that if this guy had 1/4cup of water in their 4 DAYS LATER...I'm sure a good amount evaporated even in FL humidity. But anyway...this is going a little off-topic. Sorry
Old 09-23-2005, 12:26 PM

It would take lots of water in the pipe to hydrolock the motor. You'd probably have to submerge the filter so there was no other choice but for the engine to suck water in.

I do agree that there is a design flaw with that intake. Someone should devise some sort of a drain in the bottom of the pipe that allows water to escape, but keeps dirty air out. Don't know if that's possible.

When I installed a CAI on my 240SX years ago, that intake went straight down, perpendicular to the ground, so the only way for water to get into the engine was to defy gravity and go straight up the tube, traveling about 3 feet to the pistons. That'd take a lot of water and a lot of suck to accomplish. There were times where my K&N was soaked with water and the car never hesitated one bit.

Why waste money on an expensive Japanese intake when you can spend $250 on a K&N FIPK and get it over with? I never understood why anyone would lay $1,000 into a Mugen or J's intake that gives you 6-7hp at best. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Intakes for this car are totally overpriced. I don't care if they're wind tunnel tested to exhaustion. $1,000+ for an intake, carbon fiber or not, is insane.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mav,Sep 23 2005, 10:04 AM
The true problem is in the V2's design. The lower pipe where the filter connects is angled upward. Since the filter is exposed through the bumper, water can easily be collected without much effort.
I can't see my filter through the bumper. Did you cut out your fake vent? Not trying to de-validate your point, just trying to understand how water got in. I have a home-made umbrella and I feel pretty safe, but there's always that slight chance.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=PilotKD,Sep 23 2005, 02:26 PM]I do agree that there is a design flaw with that intake.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:46 PM
WPS

i agree its not worth the trouble for little to no gains. i have the kn and spoon snorkel is fine and dandy, i really dont notice any gains hard to tell and basically no sound change.
i would would recommend the kn with their gen2 box that replaces the oem, that way you get the slight performance gain with the sound with no hydrolock issues. i would go this route if i have to again.
i have seen threads like this before. its a good heads up for ppl considering what's out there
Old 09-23-2005, 01:50 PM

AEM should just bend the lower end so that it angle downward to the ground and not point up to collect water